PDA

View Full Version : What language floats ya boat

davidj
09-20-2005, 02:00 PM
What Language do you use / Prefer

domedia
09-20-2005, 03:16 PM
voted php/mysql it just seems most canned solutions are in this combination, altough at my work we do php/postgres

ranjan
09-20-2005, 07:10 PM
asp - access

cuz i am never satisfied with canned solutions. they are either too bulky or have too less features. you can never get it just right with canned solutions.

my second choice would be

php - mysql

just because its free

domedia
09-20-2005, 09:59 PM
cuz i am never satisfied with canned solutions.
Hey! What are poor non-programmers supposed to do? ;)
Ask the fairies from the enchanted forrest to write their apps?
:P

ranjan
09-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Hey! What are poor non-programmers supposed to do

1. Learn
2. Use solutions that are basically compromises
3. Sub Contract

davidj
09-21-2005, 09:41 AM
I could have about 500 -1000+ concurent connections to my applications (online banking & financial solutions) i know access would not be able to cope plus its a needless cost. Why would i pay for something that does less than a Free-bee that does more?

when domedia mentions the word "canned solutions" he means they work well together (Access is a true canned solution - its got more wizards than the lord of the rings)

PHP MYSQL is probably the most powerful development suite out there and they are both free. But no way can you class PHP MYSQL as a "just add water" solution. you cant tweak a couple of wizards and out pops a payroll solution or a banking application (you can with access ! (probably))

i admit ASP is a strong language but its tied to microsoft where php is open source and is allways being improved by us the developer.

Microsoft is ploughing allot of their attention into (dot)net technologies so i dont think it will be long before ASP will take a back seat (not Forgotten just not given the attention it deserves)

ranjan
09-21-2005, 04:43 PM
I could have about 500 -1000+ concurent connections to my applications (online banking & financial solutions) i know access would not be able to cope

Neither would mySQL!!!!!

For simultaneous user support, there is no comparison between Access and MySQL. Access begins to short out at about 15 simultaneous connections. Simultaneous connection actually refers to concurrent processes. As such, Access can actually handle unlimited connections, as long as those connections remain under the process limit.

Read-only sites (which really aren't as rare as you might think) can support up to 255 users. Larger sites do inevitably upgrade to SQL Server to improve performance and stability.

In contrast, MySQL's maximum connection default is 100 users.

when domedia mentions the word "canned solutions" he means they work well together

No I am sure he meant solutions like xoop, mambo, open commerce, etc.

PHP MYSQL is probably the most powerful development suite out there and they are both free

Probably not, but it is sure better than Access as a whole( In some performance tests Access does better, eg.MySQL loses to Access only when dealing with object structure rather than data)