PDA

View Full Version : Changes to style attributes in CSS

uktag
09-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Hi

I am changing attributes in styles in a css, changes show up instantly in the document window but do not in a browser,I am saving changes as I go, I am using
DW2004, also I cannot find anywhere to state that when the text gets to the end of the space available it starts a new line rather than pushing over the side of a graphic to make space. Any help will prevent me from having to stay up all night trawling through Google.

Thanks guys

uktag
09-20-2005, 03:02 PM
stayed up, no joy, would really appreciate your help guys :)

davidj
09-20-2005, 03:32 PM
maybe its bad practice but ive always formated text and images in tables then as long as you dont have a NOWRAP atribute in your <TD> then the text will wrap

You can force a wrap (again bad practice) by inserting a
where you want the text to break.

regarding the CSS not updating. Are you sure you are uploading the updated CSS

If you are using DW to upload then go to your local site in DW and in the CSS rename the extention to .old or .bak (ignore any warnings) then GET the CSS from your live machine. You may find that your updates dont exist. I have had this prob a few times before

uktag
09-20-2005, 03:44 PM
Thanks david, when I say the changes don't appear in the browser I should have mentioned that I am still developing in DW so I am previewing in browser, I have not ftp'd anything to the live webserver yet.

1. I make changes in the .css file

2. I make a link to the .css file in the page that I want the .css file to edit in the usual way.

3. Save the changes in the .css file and the changes happen automatically in the document window showing the page that I want to edit.

4. I then preview in browser and the changes do not show

I hope that this makes sense

davidj
09-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Please try this

In DW select and highlight your css file from the FILE panel and click PUT (up arrow)

now retry..

even though you are developing locally you should have a REMOTE FOLDER path setup in your Manage sites Dialogue. This should point to your nominated development directory from your webserver (IIS or APACHE)

unless you are doing nowt dynamic off course

still its always best practice to view your development work through a web server on http.