PDA

View Full Version : Studio 8 - Now Available

ranjan
09-13-2005, 05:12 PM
http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/tdrc/ind...?product=studio ('http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=studio')

davidj
09-15-2005, 01:58 PM
the cons out weigh the pros

please correct me if you think im wrong (i really really do want to be proved wrong)

domedia
09-15-2005, 02:31 PM
ranjan was a beta tester so he might have some insight indeed.
Do I smell an article coming up Ranjan? ;)

ranjan
09-15-2005, 04:42 PM
ranjan was a beta tester so he might have some insight indeed.

the cons out weigh the pros

Firstly you don't mention the cons. With that in mind I present my honest opinion about the upgrade.

1. This upgrade has nothing substantially "major" to offer. The biggest upgrade to date was version 4 to MX. This upgrade raised the bar so hign that future upgrades failed in comparision. However the small features included in 8 are so many that its easy to ignore them.

2. Its a coders (not a designers) upgrade. Code collapse, Coding toolbar, Unified CSS Panel and XML / XSLT additions make it convinient for coders. The features are small but huge time savers for serious developers.

Time is money and if a feature like balance braces can save me 10-15 mins of coding time everytime I use, the feature alone pays back my upgrade investment in a month.

The CSS Panel is really very useful if you really use the Cascade and Inhertiance in CSS.

3. Stability and bug fixes are huge. I agree that DMX 2004 should have been upgraded for bug fixes, but MMs way of conducting business is to SELL them. Nothing can be done about it.

4. Background FTP frees the software for me to use, I like this

5. Flash video is very impressive altough it was sold earlier as a commercial extension.

Rants about 8

1. Behaviors - They were getting outdated and were not updated. In the coming years with Mozilla Firefox in version 1.5, IE in version 7 and so on these behaviors may soon become obsolete

2. Server Behaviors were not enhanced. A lot could have been done here, but other than XML/XSLT nothing changed here.

My primary reason to upgrade is that this may be MMs last independent upgrade. Depending on what Adobe decide Dreamweaver will either continue to be a great tool or go another direction. I just wanted to have the last PURE MM upgrade.

Do I smell an article coming up Ranjan?

You could expect to see a few articles, but not in the near future. Maybe in a month

davidj
09-16-2005, 10:41 AM
2. Its a coders (not a designers) upgrade. Code collapse, Coding toolbar, Unified CSS Panel and XML / XSLT additions make it convinient for coders. The features are small but huge time savers for serious developers.

i am an applications developer for a major internationl bank so i could be classed as a serious developer ... ( a small minority of user testers tend to disagree but hey thats quality control for you.. An easter egg here and there never hurt anyone)

Code collapse ...... nice idea, couldnt wait to see it, very disapointed. It would be nice if it remembered your collapse markers. a simple right click over a marker and a delete marker option appears.

a bar to to highlight invalid code? Mmm ive been using my own invalid code monitor for years...It works like this... You write your code.. upload to production server..run the page...and hey presto it doesnt work! That indicates to me that there is invalid code... its quite accurate as well.

i admit i havnt tried the balance braces feature but if you nest IF statments like i do i would be a bit scared to press that button...// COMMENTS .. THATS THE FUTURE

4. Background FTP frees the software for me to use, I like this

I admit i like the idea but i cant get used to it... I only feel safe when that progress bar has completed its task.

1. Behaviors - They were getting outdated and were not updated. In the coming years with Mozilla Firefox in version 1.5, IE in version 7 and so on these behaviors may soon become obsolete

2. Server Behaviors were not enhanced. A lot could have been done here, but other than XML/XSLT nothing changed here.

I dont use the wizardy behaviours as i write them myself but the structure of a recordset has rules and as long as those rules are legal (work without errors) then DW should recognise that the recordset is valid no matter what you do to it.

In my opinion this is a build update not a version update.

dont get me wrong this is a fantastic product but it could be allot more

i do like the new splash screen though!

Imagine the next version ?....will it be DREAMWEAVER9 with a PHOTOSHOP EXTENSION or PHOTOSHOP 10 with a DREAMWEAVER ACTION

(it will be one hell of a size which ever way they do it)

ranjan
09-16-2005, 05:05 PM
It would be nice if it remembered your collapse markers. a simple right click over a marker and a delete marker option appears.

It does remember my collapses (Win XP SP2). If it failed to remember your collapse or you would want to make a suggestion to make it better, please report the bug or make a feature request.

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/mmform/i...form&product=17 ('http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=17')

Why right click>>delete? Simply pressing delete button on selected collapsed code works!

a bar to to highlight invalid code?

Its not just a bar to remember invalid code. Its does the following:

1. Open new document
2. Code collapse / expand
3. Select parent tag
4. Balance Braces
5. Show / Hide line numbers
6. Highlight invalid code (as you siad)
7. Apply remove comments
8. Wrap tag
9. Recent Snippets
10. Indent Outdent code
11. Apply Source Formatting

Also this bar opens avenues for extension developers to write extensions that can enhance this toolbar. Need a feature? Build your own! Should not be hard for a "serious developer"

I only feel safe when that progress bar has completed its task

I used to have the same feeling but I am used to the feature now and it saves me atleast 30 mins a day!

I dont use the wizardy behaviours as i write them myself but the structure

I do because they are time savers, but only after verification that it works, if not i write my own.

dont get me wrong this is a fantastic product but it could be allot more

Don't you get that feeling with most major products? I do!!