PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to delete unused files?

keano
09-10-2005, 01:10 AM
Is there a way to delete files automatically that are not used? In my image folder I have lots of files that aren not used but doing by hand would take forever?

kate
09-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Hya,

If they are in your Dreamweaver folder then I would think no, unless you delete the whole Idea for the site and re-define your site from a new folder. from your desktop you could then find the old folder for the site and click one file then select all, and then delete.

If you are jusst talking about your folder not used for Dreamweaver then just file select all and delete. I would leave them in the recycle bin for a while untill you are sure you don't need them again.

:)

shinerweb
09-10-2005, 10:45 PM
I think what keano is asking is not how to delete files, but how to delete files that are not used within the project.
More specifically these are called 'Orphaned Files'.

You could have created a page that had n number of resources and then created a second page that used some of them. You then decide to delete page one, but you can't delete all of the files, because some are used on page two.

To do this in Macromedia, then use the Link Checker.
You have to do this on the complete site, and there is an option (next to show) called 'Orphaned Files'.

First run a link check on the complete site, then select the 'Orphaned Files' list.
Any orphaned files will be displayed and you can save the list, or delete them.
(There is not option to delete them, but you can select an individual file, or multiple files and then press delete).

(See attached screen capture)

Regards

Chris