PDA

View Full Version : Using the Library in DW for text links

bartainer
09-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Hello,

Can I create a library for my menu bar? I have over 50 text links (CSS controlled) off to the left of my page. Split table. Instead of me changing all 50 pages for one link motification, can I use the library function to change ALL my links or one link if needed? If so, please advise.

Thanks.

Jim_Shady
09-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Hi Bartainer,

Yes - you can.

Make the left navigation bar and then save it as a library item. Just the navigation bar mind.

Then on each of the pages put your cursos where you want the lilbrary item to appear and then double click on it using the library items section of dreamweaver. It should insert it for you -although probably won't look right until you preview in browser.

Not upload the library item and the library item folder to the server. Now when you want to update the menu section you change the library item and not the pages, although you will need to open at least one of the pages and then do INSERT > LIBRARY ITEMS > UPDATE PAGES.

Or something like that anyway. Hope this helps a little - I haven't got Dreamweaver on this computer so was doing it from memory....

Shady.

bartainer
09-08-2005, 09:35 PM
I tried all that, however. Let's say I'm trying to link to the "About Us" page on the internet. Keep in mind the site is now on the server and the library folder is completed. This is what happens: The "About Us" page is being looked for in the Library Folder, however it does not exist there. Only the links are there for the pages. And when you try linking on to any page, the result is the same. The .PHP file is being looked for in the Library Folder first. It's like this: mysite.com/library/home.php. Home is not in the library folder, but for some reason the link is going to the libary folder first. Now I do understand the concept, it will link to that folder. But, the other folders do not exist there. Understand?

Thanks.

Jim_Shady
09-09-2005, 11:19 AM
Hi Bartainer,

Yes - I understand. You need to open up the library item and check that the links go to the right places. I would reccomend making them absolute links, so instead of the line being something like:

../home.htm

Make the link:

http://www.mysite.com/home.htm ('http://www.mysite.com/home.htm')

Try this...

Shady

charly
01-22-2009, 03:45 AM
I tried all that, however. Let's say I'm trying to link to the "About Us" page on the internet. Keep in mind the site is now on the server and the library folder is completed. This is what happens: The "About Us" page is being looked for in the Library Folder, however it does not exist there. Only the links are there for the pages. And when you try linking on to any page, the result is the same. The .PHP file is being looked for in the Library Folder first. It's like this: mysite.com/library/home.php. Home is not in the library folder, but for some reason the link is going to the libary folder first. Now I do understand the concept, it will link to that folder. But, the other folders do not exist there. Understand?

Thanks.
Bartainer, I'm wondering if you ever got the problem with the links in the library straightened out. I realize it was back in '05 and you may not even be frequenting this forum anymore.

But I'm having the exact same problem and I didn't understand the answer you were given about absolute links. Can you tell me how you solved the problem?

Thanks,

Charly

Or can anyone else who may be reading this?