PDA

View Full Version : How do I add calculations to a webpage...

p_hirani
09-02-2005, 11:38 AM
I want to know if its possible to add a calculator like for doing currency conversions.

I'm pretty new at web design so make it simple :)

domedia
09-02-2005, 03:30 PM
I think you pretty much have two options:
1. Use some javascript that you can paste into your website (search google)
2. Use a server side application (hard)

If you want the currency rates to be dynamic, you probably should go with #2 and hire a programmer. If you don't need the rates to automatically update, but have a set rate you change yourself, you can easily go with #1.

ranjan
09-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Please give us more details

1. Currency rates change. You should have a source (cvs, xml, text) that gives you current rates. Search for providers, very few are free.

2. Depending on the input (cvs, xml, text) you can select a method (javascript/server side script) to build your application.

p_hirani
09-07-2005, 08:35 AM
Thanks!

I'm not so familar with Javascript. Someone esle told me that its pretty hard and time consuming to learn, as well as ASP.

Is that true?

How long would a person take to learn both Javascript and ASP (or others)?

ranjan
09-07-2005, 10:02 AM
It depends on if you are familiar with some other programming/scripting language and / or if you already know/understand control logic development. Picking up a new language is just getting familiar with a new syntax.

If you have no experience, however, then the learning curve is quite steep. It could take 4-6 weeks to understand the basics and 4-6 months to master a language depending on your learning rate and style