PDA

View Full Version : Drop down menu in headerfram

Robku
08-30-2005, 07:12 AM
I hope I can explain my problem and you can give me some adviese.

At the moment i'm trying to make an new site.
I use 3 fames... A header a foother and a body. The foother contains static information. The top of header is also static information, but at the bottom of the headerdframe, i want to have a drop down menu (it wil expand down, when je hover above the items). In this menu you can select a new topic, that wil be display in the body.
Till now I saw some script i could use... But the problem with those script is, that if the menu expandes, it alway wil stay in the headerfram. But the menu must expand over de body.
Is there a way how I can solve this problem? Just some idee about the way I must think are welcom.
Any compleet sollotion also :)

Regards
Rob

domedia
08-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Nope, no-can-do.
This is reason #512 not to use frames.

You're only solution is to take the website out of frames and make a regular website instead.

Robku
08-31-2005, 09:43 AM
Oke thats what I thought... For me it was the easiest way to work.

Now I made a new test....
I used a tabel....
Ik the top row the banner.... Properties of the page... No scrollbar... otherwise the header wil be away if there is more data below....

The foother I did put again in a frame at the btm... This will case a foother at every page.... no mather how big the screen is resized...

But now.... I can put my data in the table below...
My questions are...

How can I scroll the data in the table? The data will be stored in a cell of the table. I will put an other table with the data in it. But I want to make it posible to scrol.

I can I easy renew the data in this cel? Now it is not just al new link... I have to refresh the table in the table?

Please can someone explain how I should do this in a easy way (easy maintenance)

Redraw the screen is not an option I guess?

regard rob

domedia
08-31-2005, 02:47 PM
I think no matter what you choose, frames are *never* equal to easy maintenace. Just surf these forums and read multiple posts about users that thought frames was an easy way to make a webpage. It's an arcaic way of building websites which you will only find on amateur website today :)

I'm going to try to address you questions one-by-one:

Table scroll:
<table style="height: 20px; overflow: scroll"> <-- need content in table to se the scroll

Bottom frame: again I would remove it, it causes you more problems that you can foresee right now, you're already getting problems with it :)

If you need to include the same footer on each page, use a server include instead. Depending on your server platform, this can be done with php/asp etc.

As a general rule you want to provide a link to a new page if you want to display new data.

This would also be much much easier if you provided a url to the page in progress, this is all just semantics right now :)

Robku
08-31-2005, 05:49 PM
test 1 ('http://cp114139-a.dbsch1.nb.home.nl/OutwayTestSite/Site2/IndexSite2.htm')

It almost looks like I want it... It is WITH frames... The only problem is that the menu scrolls away....

Test 2 ('http://cp114139-a.dbsch1.nb.home.nl/OutwayTestSite/Site3/IndexSite3.htm')

It is also looks like i want to have it and no top frame. I did put it in table... 1 line fot header... one for menu... and one line for the content.
But the problem now is... You cant brows the content ... so if there is to much data in that table... you cant see it al.
I have turn the scroll bar off...otherwise the heather and the menu will be gone.

In both test site.... By choosing a option from the menu.... the data must be changed in de content field (the place where the info is displayed) This can be data... but also tables and picures.
If I choose for frames... the only thing I have to do is point to an other page and it is displayed in the body fram...

BUT if you have any nice things or ways how I can solve this... I would be very happy...

domedia
08-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Wish I could help you, but I don't develop websites with frames :-/
Maybe someone else can chime in.

Robku
08-31-2005, 09:07 PM
I dont want to make them with frames. This is the only way I know how to do it.
You asked me to show the links how they are now... So I did..

The second one has no frames... only the btm one... but that kan be removed...
But now i dont know how to scroll the text and leaving the header en menu inplace....

I just want to know how i can do it in an other way.....

I just explained how it must look like...
and by pressing a button the text needs to be changed... thats all.

Regards
Rob

domedia
08-31-2005, 09:45 PM
ah :)
Your approach to this would be something like this:
1. Find out how dreamweavers template system works, it will make sure you have consistent headers/footers. Your DW manual will give you the basics, as well as the built in help files in dreamweaver. Also read here: http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/dreamweaver/templates.html ('http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/dreamweaver/templates.html')

2. 'by pressing link only text change' <- this actually means loading a new page. But with the template system all will be the same except the text that is different.

Robku
09-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the answere again...

But this is not mine main problem....

The main problem is not consitente headers... But the header must be fixated. At the top off the screen... in the middle of the screen.... With just below a drop down menu.... that drops over the section below.

Then a section with the information... (must be able to scroll)

Then the foother... At the btm of the page in the midel of the screen....

The problem is I can use fixed locations.... It will not work when you change the size of explorer or have another resolution... Thats why i cant fixate the header and the foother.

I understand you cant answer al my questions... I also know that i dont have enough knowlage about dreamweaver....

But thanks... anyway :)

Rob

domedia
09-01-2005, 02:14 PM
ok, then don't use fixed positions.
do something like this:
<div>top part</div>
<div style="height: 300px; overflow: scroll">main part, change the height property to your height</div>
<div>bottom part</div>

Or use tables.

Robku
09-02-2005, 09:44 PM
A table it was :)

Thanks

Regards,
Rob