PDA

View Full Version : as embarrassing as it is to ask

rachp61
08-16-2005, 01:34 PM
hello all,
i am fairly new to dreamweaver and to me it is a lot different than frontpage.
I am a sr. graphics tech and I do my work on a mac so I am building a web page in dreamweaver, I have a book and I have been reading tutorials but my question to you is as embarrassing as it is, is it ok to build the page in layers only ? I seem have control of the layout but then again, what I am seeing , I am afraid will not look this way on someone elses computer... give me feedback if anyone cares to share and thanks so much !!

Jim_Shady
08-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Hi Rach,

As a simple rule - don't use layers. You're perfectly correct in saying it will probaly look different on someone else's screen.

Use CSS and/or tables.

Shady.

domedia
08-17-2005, 12:57 PM
To clear some of the confusion:
DW Layers = CSS.

'Layers' are (was?) more commonly used about Netscapes own non-standard <layer> tag that is history along with NN4.

DW users use it for the CSS block elements that DW inserts when we do Insert->Layer.

rachp61: If you don't know HTML I would just stick with the way that works for you and try to read up on HTML standards as soon as you have the time :)

rachp61
08-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks so much for the replies from you guys although I have took a few courses with web and html I am at the stage of ' a little knowledge can be dangerous". I know I am going down an aventurous road , so thanks again for the advice. Have a great day everyone!

bsuits
08-21-2005, 01:24 AM
I asked that same question last week!! I found that your best option may be to build it in Layers view.