PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver acting strange

arthurhanlon
07-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Hi there,

I wonder if someone can lend a hand?

I am using Dreamweaver MX and what an excellent piece of software it is. I wish to use the templating feature and have created templates and applied them to pages. When I update any of these templates and choose to update the pages which use it I get unbalanced tag errors and upon investigating what could be the cause I noticed that Dreamweaver has taken it upon itself to copy a portion of the template from the base of the file and paste it in below the </html> tag hence making the file unbalanced. This does not happen all the time but it is rendering the templating system that I have come to love useless as I am having to manually go into each file and delete this code in order to update the file to the template.

This is driving me crazy and I can't seem to see anything about it on the net.

Any help appreciated,

Arthur

Tana
08-24-2005, 07:31 PM
I'm having the same problem. I use Dreamweaver MX 2004 on Windows NT (and Windows XP on another machine)

I can add editable regions into the <head> but not the <body> If I add a region to the <body>, I get the error "There is an error at line 155...Unbalanced TemplateEndEditable tag"

The template file can be found at http://www.madisonpubliclibrary.org/Templates/_template1.dwt ('http://www.madisonpubliclibrary.org/Templates/_template1.dwt')

I've found references on the web to additional code that Dreamweaver adds to the source code, but don't know how to view that other than at the bottom of the active page window. Would really love suggestions or success stories!

Tana
08-25-2005, 01:59 AM
Found the answer to my own problem today, thanks to a colleague. I had comments in my template that said:

<! --- comment -- >

instead of

<! -- comment -- >

That one extra hyphen at the beginning of the comment threw the whole template out of whack. Hope this is helpful to anyone else who has this problem - it drove me nuts for two weeks!

Tana