PDA

View Full Version : Linking to a pdf

Jewels
07-01-2005, 04:08 AM
Hey guys...

I have made a drop down menu (DDM) in fireworks and imported to dreamweaver.
What I now need to do is link each DDM item to a pdf fille which is to pop up in a new window - and some need to open in adobe acrobat.

Any ideas?

Thanks heaps...
Jewels

dreamlynx
07-01-2005, 06:02 AM
it's easy.
1.create the pdf and link directly to it ousing the link from the properties area.

2. once you do the link look below the link field and you will see the word Target. click on the drop down arrow and select the word blank. you all done buddy. simple.

Just an FYI. if the person is using a popup blocker the neww window might get blocked depending on the blocker the person is using. I have run in to this serveral times since people don't no any better they will think the link is malfuctioning or not active.

My suggestion: Choose parent in the target area and this should take care of that. But thats just my suggestion.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Jewels
07-01-2005, 06:50 AM
Thanks Dan,

Unfortunately I did already try doing what you said. I tried it in both fireworks and then dreamweaver and when I previewed them, the new window would pop-up, but it could not find the file. I have put the file in the root folder...but for some reason it cannot locate it.

Anymore ideas?

Thanks again..Jewels

dreamlynx
07-01-2005, 08:58 PM
how did you create the pdf. Can you load the pdf and the page and i'll take alook at it for you. I had this same problem a while back it turned ot to be a pdf problem. I'll be happy to help in any way i can

Dan

Jewels
07-07-2005, 08:24 AM
I have to link a sub-menu item within a drop down menu to a multii-page PDF document.
So therefore, after you rollover the main menu, roll to the particular sub-menu item and release the mouse, I would like it to eopen up the PDF document in ADobe Acrobat so the user can view all the pages.

I also have another drop down menu which on each menu release I need them to link to individual one-page pdfs in a new window (does not have to open in acrobat).
I created the drop down menu in fireworks, assigning each sub menu to a pdf.
When I preview it and click on a sub menu a new window pops up but an error comes up:

No file exists at the address “/Users/juliaseratore/Library/Application Support/Macromedia/Fireworks MX 2004/FWTemp/7455524/1.pdf”.

I dont know whay it is looking there as I directed it to a pdf within the root folder..

Can anybody help with any of this...??

Thanks a million..
Jewels

tmilewski
07-10-2005, 06:42 AM
try using the link in this format

http://www.YOUR_HOST.com/PATH_TO_FILE/FILE_NAME.pdf ('http://www.YOUR_HOST.com/PATH_TO_FILE/FILE_NAME.pdf')