PDA

View Full Version : Text on top of picture?

Cobalt
07-05-2005, 06:25 AM
Hi, I am completely new to website designing and just started playing around with dreaweaver MX.
I have already designed on photoshop how everything is going to look and begin actually building the site now. In the main text body I want to put a image behind the text but its not really a background for the whole page... how do I go about doing this?
Also would it be easier to work with layers or tables?
thanks.

Jim_Shady
07-05-2005, 08:30 AM
Hi Cobolt,

Welcome to the forum.

Use tables and/or CSS - don't use layers. They're easier - but tend to look different on different people's computers and the structure of your pages will go all over the place. Stay away basically.

As for text on top of a picture - I think the easiest thing for you to do is to make a table - and then set the image to be the background for the table. Then write into the table.

Have a go and let me know how it goes...

Shady.

Cobalt
07-05-2005, 11:48 PM
thx alot. trying that right now.
kinda a dumb question... but how do i indent? pressing space bar doesnt' seem to work. I have created a table and set the bg with the image i want to use. The text is suppose to go near the center of the table but i can't indent.

thanks alot for the help, really appericate it : )

Jim_Shady
07-06-2005, 08:41 AM
You could centre the text like you do in word?

Or you could split the cell into two cells (bottom left of the properties panel), set the borders of the table to be invisible, and then use the left hand column of the table as a fake 'Indent' ? I haven't explained that very well have I. Hopefully you'll get the idea...

Shady