PDA

View Full Version : Webspace Questions.

dreamweaverhelp
07-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Hello again Dreamweavers,

Thanks for your previous advice. This thread is a follow-up to my initial thread regarding webspace. It's a set of factors I feel I need to query before I commit to a webhosting package. I've divided my questions into three sections, and, as usual, I'm very grateful for any assistance :)

1. Domains -

A friend of mine mentioned it's a lot less hassle if you buy your domain name from your webhost. Is this true? I'd ideally like to purchase my domain name independently of my webhost. How do I link the name I buy from one company to the webspace I buy from another company, and is this an easy standard process?

I've been researching over the past week. One webspace host mentions a maximum of 50 "point external domains". Are these links, and, if so, why would there be a limit on the number of links you can have? Do they take up a lot of space? Also, I don't understand what subdomains and add-on domains are. Are they important?

2. Webhosting -

A couple of contributors to my previous thread urged me to steer clear of Network Solutions. I'm wondering what problems have been encountered with this particular company, and whether you'd advise against using any other webhosts.

If I went with a webhost, paying the annual package, and that webhost went bust or something six months into the hosting, would I be able to just up sticks and upload my site to another webhost immediately or are contractual ties involved?

I'm a computer idiot. Getting better, but still an idiot. One factor confusing me whilst researching was the mention of Windows, Unix, and Linux. It seems I'll have to choose one of these programs, yet I don't know the pros and cons of any of them, or what they are, really. Can anyone enlighten me?

3. Bandwidth/Transfer -

I'm a musician, so the availability of soundclips is crucial to my site. A few people in the last thread mentioned how webhosts have varying uptimes, whereas I'd previously assumed sites are displayed 24/7 with every webhost. Any advice here (webhosts to avoid on this issue, average downtime for webhosts generally, etc).

Unmetered bandwidth using a webhost such as Midphase would enable infinite downloads of sound clips from my site - have I understood this correctly? Now, a bit of maths. If I had four 1 minute sound clips on the audio page of my website, and I went with a webhosting package providing 50GB of monthly data transfer, approximately how many downloads would people be able to make from my audio page during one month?

Would streaming clips, as opposed to downloading clips, be of use to me here, or are they effectively the same thing?

:)

ranjan
07-04-2005, 03:12 PM
A friend of mine mentioned it's a lot less hassle if you buy your domain name from your webhost. Is this true?

Its a lot less hassle initially.Thats true, but you would endure more hassle in transferring the domain later should you plan to switch hosts down the line. Its always best to be in control of what you own rather than have others control it for you.

Are these links, and, if so, why would there be a limit on the number of links you can have?

What the web host gives you as an address to your website is an IP number, much like your mail address. A typical IP looks like this:

Obviosly remembering IP addresses of websites would be difficult if you had to remember numbers like the above. A Domain Name System (DNS) resolves this issue. What it does is that it assigns a domain name to the IP number. So www.xyz.com points to 73.124.35.23.

This is a thus a huge catalogue service that requires bandwidth and hence the limit above.

The pointing service can be done by either your webhost or by your domain name provider. The webhost does it automatically for you. The domain name provider however provides you with an interface asking you to enter tha IP address for your specific domain.

A couple of contributors to my previous thread urged me to steer clear of Network Solutions.

I would not know because I have never used them, but I have heard a lot of complains against them.

would I be able to just up sticks and upload my site to another webhost immediately

This is one of the reasons why you should be in control of your domain name. You can then get another host and just repoint your domain to the new IPs

I'll have to choose one of these programs, yet I don't know the pros and cons of any of them, or what they are, really. Can anyone enlighten me?

They are operating systems that the host functions on. Much the same as choosing a new computer. You have to choose between a Windows, Mac OS, Linux while buying a personal computer, similarly you choose between Windows/Linux/Unix server for your webhost. Heres how you should choose

Dynamic pages (pages that can handle database transactions) uses different progamming languages. These languages are ASP/ASP.NET on a Windows Host or PHP/PERL on a Unix/Linux host. So if you/your programmer have a preference for the language you use to program your dynamic pages then it determines the preference for your webhost

As with personal computers Linux is more secure to attack than Windows. Linux hosting is also cheaper since the OS is free or almost free. So if there is no programming language choice to tie you then go in for Linux

Unmetered bandwidth using a webhost such as Midphase would enable infinite downloads of sound clips from my site - have I understood this correctly?

You may have to read the fine prints to find out if this is really true, it depends!

If I had four 1 minute sound clips on the audio page of my website, and I went with a webhosting package providing 50GB of monthly data transfer, approximately how many downloads would people be able to make from my audio page during one month?

It depends on the compression of the music files. 4 one minute sound files says nothing. We in the computer industry talk in bytes and multiple of it. So let us know the bytes, kb, mb, gb sizes of your files to the math. Or do it yourself

50 GB is 52428800 KB or 51200 MB or 53687091200 bytes

Would streaming clips, as opposed to downloading clips, be of use to me here

Streaming is a process where the sound files will begin to play before they are completely downloaded. So if your file size (again in terms of bytes) is huge you would want your listeners to start listening as fast as possible raher than have to wait for the complete download. But if they are small you could eliminate streaming process.

gtlanz
07-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Unmetered bandwidth using a webhost such as Midphase would enable infinite downloads of sound clips from my site - have I understood this correctly?

And midphase say* Your website is NOT primarily designed to provide files for download.
IMHO there is no such thing as really unmetered b/w.

dreamweaverhelp
07-10-2005, 07:38 AM
Cheers, guys; especially Ranjan for the extensive response. I'll have a proper read through in the week to see whether there's anything I'm still unsure about :)