PDA

View Full Version : Can I be this stupid!

sirocco
07-03-2005, 10:54 PM
I'm sure that this difficult issue for me will be instantly answered by a seasoned professional!

I have set up Dreamweaver MX to test my locally developed site on a local (IIS) server on the same PC.

I am running Windows XP pro and IE 6.0 .

everything is pointing correctly between the local files (C:\Mywebsites) and the LocalServer (:\C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Mywebsites) and the images are in (c:\Mywebsites\images)

If I have a page with text on and hit F12 the locally developed page shows in the browser OK.

BUT!!

If I insert a link to a JPEG image I can only get a little red box with and X in it and not see the image.
Only the text! :huh:

Is there a simple explanation please?
Graham

gmcrone
07-03-2005, 11:59 PM
Are the images also in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\mywebsites\images ??

Even though you develop the site at C:\mywebsites you have to duplicate it in the directory your web server is pointing to.

Mike...

sirocco
07-04-2005, 12:19 AM
Are the images also in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\mywebsites\images ??

Even though you develop the site at C:\mywebsites you have to duplicate it in the directory your web server is pointing to.

Mike...
Thanks Mike,
Ive copied the JPEG across across and it works fine.
Do I have to do this manually everytime I add an image to C:\Mywebsites\images and point to it in a web page? or having created the C:\inetpub\wwwroot\mywebsites\images folder will any JPEG I add to C:\Mywebsites\images be duplicated in the IIS location?
Whatever the answer its great to have a quick reply that worked!
Graham

gmcrone
07-04-2005, 02:09 AM
Yes, need to do it everytime.
However, if you set up your site definition in Dreamweaver to use a "testing server"
you can then use Dreamweaver to synchronise both.

Think of it this way. Your C:/mywebsites is your local working copy you do your developing on.

Your Inetpub directory is a web hosting site server, just like uploading to an actual website on the internet. (Except it is local & not accessible from outside)

Mike...

sirocco
07-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks Mike,
I had "cloaking" enabled.
I unchecked it and the image files upload to the testing server on pressing F12

The questions are always easy if you know the answers!
Thanks
Graham :)