PDA

View Full Version : drop down menus

pinkpanther
06-30-2005, 10:09 AM
Hello everybody.
I have a little problem here...
I wanted to have two drop down menus on my page, followed by a "go" button.
(This might be a bit hard to explain!)
So you choose from the first menu "restaurant" or "bar" or "hotel" etc
then you choose the location from the second,
then press "go" to be taken to the appropriate page.

Thing is, I can't find out how to make this kind of menu.
Could anyone help me?
Pretty please?
:rolleyes:

Jim_Shady
06-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Hey there,

Sorry I ain't got time for a proper reply right now - but I'm certain that this is built into Dreamweaver? Probably in the INSERT menu. You could also try searching for 'Drop-Down Menu' or something similar in the Dreamweaver help files.

Shady.

pinkpanther
06-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Thank you for your quick reply. :)
I have tried all of the help files and can't find anything and it's driving me crazy.
I know how to make "One" drop down menu that takes you to another page, but can't find a way to combind "two" with a submit button.
It's strange because it seems such a common thing to put on a site. :(

domedia
06-30-2005, 03:42 PM
'Combine' 2?
What exactly are you trying to do? You have to explain what kind of functionality you are looking for. Are these values going to query a DB?

Inserting 2 SELECTS is not a problem at all, just do insert->form-> twice. Is this what you are looking for?

pinkpanther
07-01-2005, 09:55 AM
Here's a pic of what I'm trying to do.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/beep3/Image1.jpg
I had no problems inserting the drop down menus, it's getting them to work is what is bothering me.

So in the first menu you choose what you are looking for, like a "restaurant" or "hotel" or "campsite" etc,
then in the second menu you choose which town or village you want to stay at,
then click on submit to be taken to the HTML page with the informations you were looking for.

Any ideas how to get it to work?

Jim_Shady
07-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Ah.... I see what you're trying to do now..... it's more complicated that you think though I'm afraid!

The sort of thing that you're talking about trying to do requires 'active' pages and a database behind the pages with all the info in it. Probably either ASP or PHP pages and an ACCESS database. The user chooses the fields that he or she wants, and then the next page queries the Dbase and only shows the info that is relevant to the fields selected.

Get it?

Alternatively you make loads of html pages and have links taking you to what the user wants to see I suppose.

I'm sure Domedia will explain better.... he normally does! :P

Shady.

pinkpanther
07-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Oh dear, I was worried you might say something like that. :(

Well I guess I'd better start trying to make a data base then.

If you have any tips about that, they would be greatly appreciated. :)

ranjan
07-01-2005, 04:58 PM
ASP with Access database

http://www.roubaixinteractive.com/PlayGrou...nt_List_Box.asp ('http://www.roubaixinteractive.com/PlayGround/JavaScript/Dependent_List_Box.asp')