PDA

View Full Version : Templates and parent directories

Orlund
06-28-2005, 04:35 PM
When I create my template I use some thing like ../Pictures/Top.gif
Then when I try to use my template it removes the ".". from the url so I get
/Pictures/Top.gif which causes problems. So far the only solution I have found is that after I create my pages I have to go to the template and remove the ".." and save it then add the .. to the template and resave to update the pages. Is there a setting or something that will stop the "../" from changing to "/"?

domedia
06-28-2005, 04:53 PM
Why would this cause problems?
/Pictures/Top.gif which causes problems.

Orlund
06-28-2005, 05:01 PM
the picture does not show up. the html file is in c:\test\file.html
and the pictures are in c:\Pictures\Top.gif

domedia
06-28-2005, 05:12 PM
Your images must be inside your Defined Website Area in DW.
Create a subdirectory inside your web folder and place all your website images there. Then link tghem back into your template.

Orlund
06-28-2005, 05:54 PM
all my files and folders are in my defined site area. Just to make sure I started a new site area (I also made a copy of the files and folders). the site is (f:\web sites\test) the pictures are in a sub directory (pictures) When I create the template I drag the picture file to the template then save the template which gives me the \Pictures\Top.gif even if I try to preview the template it gives me a blank picture unless I go in the templage and add the (..)

domedia
06-28-2005, 07:04 PM
This is too much guessing from my side since you're not proving more info/code.
Try this page, it should give you basics on how to deal with Dreamweaver Templates and links:
http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledg...cfm?id=tn_13842 ('http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_13842')

In the above article, pay close attention to what is being said about relative/absolute paths, template folder location, moving template files and other content in templates folder.

Good Luck! :)