PDA

View Full Version : scrollbars !X$?*?!!!

llyfre
06-21-2005, 03:23 AM
Hello,

I have a frameset with multiple frames and I have included in the main page with all the other frames the following html to prevent scrollbars from appearing:

<frame src="mainl.html" name="main" scrolling="NO" noresize>

This works great unless the page is reloaded (in IE) in which case there are scrollbars all over the place. Don't know what to do about this except hope nobody refreshes the page...

What I am having real trouble with is the following:

I have a .swf file which functions as a menu in one frame and when a selection is clicked, a corresponding page is loaded in a different frame. This works great except there are scrollbars bottom and right, despite my including the 'scrollbar=no' in the body tag.

Anyone know how I can prevent scrollbars from appearing in a frame where a new page is loaded? Do I need to use some script in the frameset for other pages that appear in the frames beyond those that are intitially loaded? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Llyfre

tmilewski
06-21-2005, 04:08 AM
I don't really know... but what I am about to post is what just about anyone will say regarding what you posted.

Stay away from frames... they are the devil many times over.
Already you are having trouble with them but the worst trouble comes to your viewers.
Say they like a section so they bookmark it... then they try and come back to it later only to realize that it only bookmarked the top frame, meaning that they will never get back to that exact page. This is very inconvenient and could result in lost business.

I strongly urge you to create a site free of frames and iframes.

Good Luck
Tom Milewski

domedia
06-21-2005, 02:37 PM
#1 tip: Fire whoever told you to make a website in frames ;)

Honestly, your best approach would be to make a normal, standard compliant website aimed at your users. Drop all the frames and use server includes or Dreamweaver Template function for creating consistency throughout your website :)