PDA

View Full Version : gif to JPEG conversion

Stixxs
06-16-2005, 01:32 AM
Hi all,

Just wondering is it possible to convert a gif in Fireworks MX to a JPEG? I'm trying to do the conversion for a t-shirt logo, and Diskfaktory requires JPEG, BMP of TIFF.

Thanks for any help!

-Stixxs

domedia
06-16-2005, 12:53 PM
A GIF is maximum 256 colors, often less, so I would find another image altogether to work with, your result will not be good.

It is fully possible though; open a gif and save as jpg.

Stixxs
06-16-2005, 10:55 PM
domedia,

I've tried the "save as" in FW to a jpg...and the option is not available in the drop down menu. Any other ideas other than a complete redesign from scratch?

Thanks

Sloth_Boy
06-17-2005, 04:48 AM
well i know that in photoshop, if you open a gif, you cant save as certian formats including jpeg. But to solve that, i just go "save for web". Im not sure about fireworks but it may have a similiar thing.

domedia
06-17-2005, 01:06 PM
domedia,

I've tried the "save as" in FW to a jpg...and the option is not available in the drop down menu. Any other ideas other than a complete redesign from scratch?

Thanks
If you don't have the original file, you should redesign it. A 256 color gif is not suiteable for print anyway.

Sloth_Boy
06-18-2005, 04:31 AM
you might have soem luck if you just change the file extension to jpg or watever. It's work for me in the past when programs say you can only import a certian fil, you change the extension.

So, open up a folder, go Tools >> Folder Options >> click the "View" tab >> then untick "hide extensions for known file types". Now all yuor files will show there extensions (file type), find your GIF image, then change the name from "imagename.gif" to "imagename.jpg".

This might not work, it depends on the program your importing it into, try it though.

domedia
06-18-2005, 03:09 PM
No, this will absolutely not work. Just changing the file extension does nothing to the file.
you might have soem luck if you just change the file extension to jpg or watever. It's work for me in the past when programs say you can only import a certian fil, you change the extension.

gmcrone
06-18-2005, 10:41 PM
If your on windows.

Just open up Windows paint, load in your file & "save as" jpg.

Mike...

d a v e
02-28-2006, 04:28 PM
you can also pick tiff in the optimise options prior to exporting, though as pointed out above it would be better to recreate it anyway

Andromeda
04-05-2006, 03:34 AM
Rather than "save as" try "export" and pick jpeg from there.