PDA

View Full Version : A Definitive Guide

Kotrl
06-15-2005, 04:53 PM
hi, im fairly new to dreamweaver and im currently just looking to expand my knowledge

for the kind of website that is constantly changing log in , log out, auto created pages, member groups, point systems,variable displays and text that extracts infomation from certain parts

what kind of thing are needed?

what programs?

what do i need to know?

and just the general knowledge you need to know for these kind of things

i know their are posts about these kind of things all over the forums and ill check em out but could somone please push me in the right direction

i have no idea how to START such a web page

ranjan
06-15-2005, 05:42 PM
The basis of all web pages is a Markup Language called as Hyper Text Markup Language or what we all know as HTML.

HTML is a method of segregating content into little meaningful blocks called as tags. The tags by themselves are meaningless to a rendering device (browser, PDA, screen readers) unless they are styled.

By styling HTML we ask the rendering device to display our HTML in a certian format. This is achieved by a styling standard called as Cascading Style Sheets or CSS.

Combining HTML and CSS we can create static web pages. Static web pages are like a word document or pdf file. Content never changes and its not interactive.

There are 2 ways to make a page dynamic (interactive or with content that changes).

One works on the clients (visitors) rendering device also called client side scripting. There are several client side scripting languages the most popular amongst them is Javascript. The visitors rendering device executes the code on the visitors machine.

The second works on your web host or server. The script is executed by your server and sends HTML output to the clients device. This is called server side scripting. Again there are several server scripting languages. What you use depends on your server, generally a Linux web server uses PHP, a windows server on the other hand uses ASP or ASP.NET. There are also a few third party server technologies like Coldfusion.

To create a website that is interactive (such as what you have described) hence needs the following:

1. HTML - Easy to learn
2. CSS - Easy to learn
3. Javascript - Gets a little tougher
4. ASP/PHP/Coldfusion - Steep learning curve

gmcrone
06-15-2005, 09:05 PM
The only thing I would add to Ranjans post is :
5. database technology (can be another steep learning curve)
for PHP there is MYSQL
for ASP there is SQL or Access (for low demand)

Mike...

Sloth_Boy
06-16-2005, 02:21 AM
Im also, interested in learning more code, i prefer creating rather than sitting there typing code...

but, offcourse it would be very handy to know, i have a dreamweave runleashed book that has alot fo stuff in it, i recommend you get a book like that... it has 900 pages of pure "learning", they'[ve mad eit easy for begginers and professionals.