PDA

View Full Version : Webspace.

dreamweaverhelp
06-15-2005, 09:00 AM
Hello Dreamweavers. Thanks for helping me weave my dreams in my other threads. Now, I'm pleased to say that my main site is ready for a domain name and some webspace. The site is very mininal, with six pages of text. I'll add a couple more pages of text and four audio clips at a later date once the site is online. I'm a bit worried about bandwidth regarding the audio clips, so if anyone could give me any pointers on that, that'd be cool. Also, I'm looking for an affordable, efficient webhost. My mate recommended Network Solutions. Which webhosts would you recommend, and which would you advise against using? :)

Sloth_Boy
06-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Well, when i go with a hositng plan, i look aroudn for weeks until i find the right one...

This is my definition of "The Right One":

* It must be cheap to start with, most important thing in my book...
* Must have alot fo features, like, php support, heaps of email accounts, heaps of subdomains, add-on domains.etc
* Must have enough webspace and bandwidth, to allow me to expand if i ever need too.

Here's the host im with, im sure you wont find better for the money, go a 1 year plan since hosting will most likely get cheaper and better in a years time...

HostingPlex.com ('http://www.hostingplex.com')

or if your worried about bandwidth, then here is one fo the few hostingplans that offers unmetered bandwidth...

MidPhase ('http://www.midphase.com/featurelist.shtml')

Midphase is low on features, but ahs unmetered bandwidth... (also cost a little more)

Hositngplex.com is my choice, im hositng my site with them right now, SiliconJunkie.com.au ('http://www.siliconjunkie.com.au')

im currently hosting 3 domains and over 10 subdomains with hositngplex right now...

Also, when i first joined, i got put onot there new server, it was experiencing a few problems where my site would be offline and tihngs, this went on very occasionally for about 2 weeks, even though msot people didnt even notice that there site was down for short periods, hostingplex.com gave everyone a freee month hosting anyway...

HostingPlex.com - No better plan man!!!

gmcrone
06-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Sloth Boy is right in saying look around.

Just my opinion, but stay as far away from Network Solutions as you can.

When looking at the various hosting companies, look at what they offer, and try to think ahead as to what you will need in a year, 2 years, 5 years, etc.

Many hosting companies offer 2 types of hosting Windows hosting & Linux hosting.

Which one you choose will depend on how you plan on updating your site in the future.
Windows hosting means they support ASP code, and Linux hosting means they support PHP code. Linux is generally lower priced.

Go to www.hostchart.com to see a comparison of hosting companies and read through some actual user recommendations. (there are other web sites that are similar that you can check out also)

What you need to do first is register your domain name. I would recommend registering through godaddy.com Once you have your domain registered, than you can look for a good hosting plan.

Mike..

Sloth_Boy
06-16-2005, 02:17 AM
generally, go cheap, and makesure they will forfill your needs and future requirements...

Hostingplex.com was a perfect match for me and my needs...

I'd set hostingplex as the hostingplan to beat, if you find a better hositngplan, then please tell me!!1

Cheers

dreamweaverhelp
06-21-2005, 03:39 PM
Cheers for the information, guys. I'll let it sink in and return (probably with more questions because I'm a computer-fool) sometime soon :)

domedia
06-21-2005, 04:19 PM
price-uptime-support
Choose 2.

tmilewski
06-22-2005, 04:10 AM
I have had no problems what-so-ever with Powweb... you should try them out.

$21 (3 Months)
PHP / MySQL (5)
~5Gb Storage
300Gb Transfer (Per Month)
Unlimited SubDomains
650 Mailboxes
Support Forums (Good, Quick Support)
Load Balancing Servers

What I've noticed (Coming up on 6 months now)...
Good Support
Very Good Uptime
and just look at the Price

Everything domedia suggested you look at.

www.powweb.com

-Tom Milewski

tmilewski
06-22-2005, 04:16 AM
I just fully read your post... and i used to be with NetworkSolutions

Don't they really are not that good and I had my fair share of trouble with them.

From what I see gmcrone did have a good stay with them either.