PDA

View Full Version : Navigation bar not working in Opera

Rosanna
06-07-2005, 01:46 PM
I made a regular navigation bar (buttons) in Fireworks. I imported it into my page in Dreamweaver. The buttons have three stages (up, down and over). The bar works just fine in IE, Navigator and Firefox. It functions ok (the navigation works fine), but the gif -graphics won't work correctly. I have a frameset layout. I have no idea where to look for a solution since the other browser are OK.

Feeling again stuuupido! :ph34r:

Rosanna

domedia
06-07-2005, 02:25 PM
I wish I could help you, but Opera is a really marginal browser for the geographical market I'm developing websites for.

For one website so far this month, Opera (all versions) count for 558 out of 1028955 visitors browsers used so far this month. This equals to about 0.025% of the visitors..

ranjan
06-07-2005, 03:43 PM
For one website so far this month, Opera (all versions) count for 558 out of 1028955 visitors

Are you selling anything? If you are you may have lost 558 customers who already have proven history of dishing out their CC online (Opera is a paid browser!)

Navigation bar not working in Opera

Please post a link, so that we can look at the page.

domedia
06-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Are you selling anything? If you are you may have lost 558 customers who already have proven history of dishing out their CC online (Opera is a paid browser!)
It's a valid argument, but it could mean taking 5% more time on a project to reach 0.025% more customers, from an accesibility standpoint alone it's ok, but from a normal business standpoint, that time(=money) could probably have been spent better elsewhere. And don't forget Opera has a free version of their browser as well.
I'm a native norwegian, so my personal support for Opera comes along with my patriotism ;)

ranjan
06-08-2005, 10:37 PM
it could mean taking 5% more time on a project to reach 0.025% more customers

Lets do some math here

Lets say time taken for the project is 30 days without opera support. To achieve opera support it would take an additional 2 days or 16 hours. Lets say the project team is 5 people. Total man hours is 80 hours. At 75 bucks and hour, its 6K in costs

We have 500 opera visitors a month. Lets say half of them are paid opera users. Which means 250 visitors that have bought stuff online. If your product is good enough the conversion rate should be higher for people who have a history of buying, lets say 5%

Roughly 12 buys each month. If your product costs 50 bucks u break even in one month! After a month 2 day of your "time is money"

Thats not bad math at all, unless u are selling products worth a buck or two

domedia
06-09-2005, 01:10 PM
ranjan, trying to follow your math:
-6k extra costs
-12 extra buys per month
-product sells for $50
-profitmargin 10% = $5

Extra profit per month 12*$5=$60
Time to earn back initial costs ($6000/60m) = 100 months

Now the number can be modified and I'm sure examples can be different where costs are retrieved much faster. My point was when there's a limitied budget, there might be other things (marketing for example) that also will be effective in achieving success. As you can see from my first post, for my target audience, opera is right there with konqueror and webtv :-/

In a perfect world, all browsers would just read your standards compliant html and everything would be fine, everyone would be able to access the website data. But it's often client expectations (I'm pretty sure you're dealing with more or less qualified requirements from customers as well, if not I envy you ;) ) and browser differences that ( and not-so-smart developers) that in worst case scenarios creates the dreaded 'This website best viewed on my computer' syndrome ;)

But if Rosanna would get to us with some nav code we wouldn't be so O.T..

ranjan
06-09-2005, 03:55 PM
I'm pretty sure you're dealing with more or less qualified requirements from customers as well, if not I envy you

I ususally dont. My market is fellow designers and developers. What I do is custom built scripts (bits and pieces of a whole website).

Your point is valid tough, For small websites it may not make sense to get into nitty gritty, but I would also hate to see 500 people leave the site cuz I have not worked my butt enough for 2 extra days.