PDA

View Full Version : Page size

Margi
06-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Hi!
Can anyone please tell me what the maximum file size a web page should be? I've read elsewhere that 50k should really be the maximum, but I'm finding it pretty impossible to get mine below 140k!
Thanks in advance for any help.

kate
06-04-2005, 06:43 PM
I do believe CSS makes for smaller webbies, also optimise your graphics, if you have music this will make it a bigger size too.

:)

Margi
06-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Hi!
Thanks for that, but I've optimised my graphics etc. Is round about 150k for a web page really unacceptable? With most people having 'broadband' nowadays would there really be much of a problem with the pages loading?

kate
06-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Hya,
I had a look at one or two articles in google. they seem to think 200k is fine even for the dialup users. what they do say is your 'index' should be no more than 40 - 80k the others can b a good size.

Give us the link and we can all have a look for you. remember you need to be able to have all browsers able to view the site:

I.E, Opera, Firefox which can be a pain, Netscape, there are more but escape me at the minute.

Carry on and upload it Margi good luck!

:D :D

Margi
06-05-2005, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the info Kate! ;) Hopefully I'll get it uploaded this week.

domedia
06-06-2005, 12:35 AM
Hi!
Can anyone please tell me what the maximum file size a web page should be? I've read elsewhere that 50k should really be the maximum, but I'm finding it pretty impossible to get mine below 140k!
Thanks in advance for any help.
50k max for homepage is sound advice.. remember the millions of dial-up users :)

Hittman
06-06-2005, 01:59 AM
With most people having 'broadband' nowadays would there really be much of a problem with the pages loading?

Less that 50% of the surfers have broadband, so it's still a good idea to keep things as small as possible, unless you're only shooting for a broadband audience.

For instance, I just finished a site for my podcasts, and there aren't too many people downloading podcasts on dial up. I used a lot more big honkin' graphics than I ever have before. But I still optimized them a bit, just out of habit. If anyone has dialup, check it out and let me know how long it took to load. (http://www.davehitt.com/podcasts/index.html)

Give us the link and we can all have a look for you. remember you need to be able to have all browsers able to view the site:

I.E, Opera, Firefox which can be a pain, Netscape, there are more but escape me at the minute.

I have to disagree with this, unless you're doing a commercial site, where every lost visitor can be lost revenue. Make it work with IE and Firefox, and don't spend a lot of time worrying about the rest. That's time better put to use improving your site.

Looking at my stats for last month, 84% used IE, 8.5% used Firefox, 1.7% used Safari, 1.3% used Netscape, and .5% used Opera. Konquor and WebTV hit the site a few times, but not enough to even generate a percentage.