PDA

View Full Version : Overlapping Relative Layers - Show/Hide

asupersonicboy
06-03-2005, 02:02 PM
okay, this is what ive managed to do so far...

I've created a thumbnail gallery in a table which is in a cell. Using the behaviour rules I've set it up so when you click on the thumbnail the image appears in another cell (to the right of the thumbnail gallery cell). I've done this by placing each large image into a layer and then using the show/hide layer command to create the effect.

The problem is that whilst the layers are inside the right hand side cell, using the 'absolute' attribute the large images are obviously moving relative to the whole page, what i need is for them to move relative to the cell, so that when the page is reized they do not 'float' over the top of the rest of the webpage. However using the relative command is fine except that it places the layers underneath each other (not overlapping) causing the images to appear below the previous one. I hope this is understandable. What I would like is for all of the images to be placed on top of each other, but still remain relative to the right hand side cell. This way all the images appear in the same space. On by the way I have tried 'un-ticking' the prevent overlap option but it never seems to stay off.

I must point out Im quite new to dreamweaver and I am more of a visual designer than a programmer and do not have much knowledge of code, so if you can put any help in laymans terms it would be most appreciated!!!

Thank you very much!!

Andi G

domedia
06-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Hi Andi, you can easily solve this by putting you images in the right hand cell *without* using absolute positioning. Just put your cursor in the cell and insert the image there.

Let me know if this makes sense. If not can you link to the actual page?

asupersonicboy
06-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Im at work at the moment but will try it when i get home. The only thing is can you still do that and then use the show/hide command, i want only the relevant image to appear when you click the thumbnail and then 'hide' when you click another thumbnail. Basically I'm tryin to set the page up so that when you click the thumbnail it doesnt appear in a whole new browser window but on the same page.

Thanks for your suggestion though its very much appreciated, as i say ill try it when i get home and let you know

cheers

andi

domedia
06-03-2005, 03:47 PM
Yes the show/hide command is not directly associated with css absolute positioning.
Show/Hide is javascript, positioning is CSS :)