PDA

View Full Version : Noob searching for help. Ongoing questions.

Newbiee_Kevinn
05-31-2005, 05:33 PM
Okay guys/girls. I am extremely new with dreamweaver. A friend of mine turned me onto this program and said it was awsome. I have started to creat my webpage and have ran into a snag.

I have 1 frame on the left and one at the top and a text are to the right. What I want is the frame on the left and the text on the right to scroll at the same time. Could you please explain how a newb like myself might go about doing this. Thanks in advance and I am awaiting a response from the guru's of this forum.

Kevinn

domedia
05-31-2005, 05:40 PM
I knew a post like this would eventually come ;) Here we have a framed page that needs to act like a normal webpage..

The simple answer is: Don't use frames at all. You should fire the person who told you to use frames in the first place. Seriously.

Normal websites don't use frames, and it's an archaic technology which you shouldn't consider (there are exceptions) when building a website. A webpage is a webpage, no need to make it any more complicated than that :)

Newbiee_Kevinn
05-31-2005, 05:47 PM
I knew a post like this would eventually come ;) Here we have a framed page that needs to act like a normal webpage..

The simple answer is: Don't use frames at all. You should fire the person who told you to use frames in the first place. Seriously.

Normal websites don't use frames, and it's an archaic technology which you shouldn't consider (there are exceptions) when building a website. A webpage is a webpage, no need to make it any more complicated than that :)

Thanks for the quick reply. I se what you are saying and I agree that maybe I should not use frames but my problem is simple and maybe you can give me a solution. My page is 1 color where the frames are and the text area is another. I have buttons on the left frame and a animated pic on the top frame. I only used frames because I thought that was the easiest way to get the look I was looking for. Is there away for you to tell me how to do this differently. How do I upload what I have so that I can get better advise.

Thanks in advance.

Kevinn

Ps. I dont know if this will show up, but I saves it as a html and I am trying to upload. Please forgive the obvious stupidity here, but I am giving this a go for the first time.

domedia
05-31-2005, 06:03 PM
You have to start with removing the frameset alltogether. Trust me, you don't want to use it :) Sounds like the easiest way for you to go is to create a 2 column table. Easy manageable, and you dont have to use several html files (!) for one page.
Someone here (gmcrone? ;) ) can translate that file you uploaded (it worked fine btw) to normal HTML.