PDA

View Full Version : .con files

Hittman
05-31-2005, 01:12 AM
I've just upgraded from DW 4 to DW MX and am having some trouble.

The biggest problem is with .con files. I maintain a website built in PHP. PHP provides the headers and footers of the pages, and refers to .con files for the content. The con files are html without header or body tags. It was obnoxious to get DW4 to open a con file drag and drop didn't work, and it didn't want to see them on the file list but once you did it worked OK. In MX, though, DW refuses to let me see them in a design or split view all I can see is the code, with the split and design buttons grayed out. I can't even preview it in a browser like I could in 4.

I tried removing .config from the "open in code view" under preferences, thinking it might be hanging up on that. That didn't do it. Is there any way around this? If not, I'm going to have to keep 4 for that one site.

Also, the help file is in about a 4 point font, and I can't find a way to enlarge it so a human (especaly this human) can read it.

domedia
06-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Don't despair :)
Use the exact same instructions as for .inc files in our article on this website about adding file extensions to Dreamweaver ('http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/dreamweaver-phtml-inc.php')

Basically, open this file
C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 4\Configuration\Extensions.txt in a text editor and add CON to the list.

Hittman
06-02-2005, 03:23 AM
Thanks!

Hittman
06-11-2005, 05:03 AM
It didn't work. And after doing it, I ended up with several more configuration folders: Configuration-1, configuration-2 and configuration-3.

CON files still will only let me edit text, and greys out the design buttons.

kate
06-11-2005, 10:37 AM
hmm..read...

From Tom Muck Macromedia..

The problem with overwriting system files is major, considering the Exchange still hosts these extensions with no warning whatsoever that the file can corrupt your Dreamweaver.

Apparently some of my whining has paid off, as Alexandru from Interakt commented on a previous blog entry that Interakt is working on a patch to remove the corrupted system files left over by their extensions. It's a start, guys, but I won't be happy until ALL system file corruption is eliminated from extensions

Macromedia has lots to do . this week a member at mine had heaps of trouble, nothing in the help files either but app it needed a patch which of course Macromedia has no plans for at this time. =O

When I have time later today i'll try to find you something Hittman unless domedia and his staff can help with your problem. its out there some where.

:)