PDA

View Full Version : Best Dreamweaver Book

andy384
05-30-2005, 08:40 PM
I am a complete beginner when it comes to Dreamweaver. But I would like to build my own site using .CSS

I got a template for my homepage from opensource.org which has webpages w/CSS and such for free use and I was able to figure out how to "plug in" what I wanted into the homepage. So my homepage looks great but I want to go ahead and build the rest of the site now.

After hours of trying to figure it out on my own I have been unsuccessful in learning how to make a page. I guess I will start by reading the manual. I eventually would like to be pretty advanced but as I said before I am a complete beginner right now.

What is the best book or series of books I should buy to start me out and progress to becoming an advanced user?

How long does it take to become an advanced Dreamweaver user? I already have very good knowledge of computers and I am a pretty quick learner.

I basically want to get a feel of how long the learning process is and if I want to undertake it or have someone else design my site. I really want to do it myself but I am unaware of exactly "what it takes" to become proficient with Dreamweaver.

Please let me know if there is any "must reads" or great teaching books out there.

If someone can give me a general idea of "what it takes" I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks

gmcrone
05-30-2005, 09:06 PM
The learning process can take years to fully understand and be able to use what you have learned.

Books:
The Dummy Series of books are good for beginners.
Dreamweaver MX Bible Series
Foundations from Project Seven for CSS basics
Eric Myers books on CSS for more advanced CSS
Then there are literally thousands of tutorials available on the web.

In your learning curve you should approach it thusly:
1. Learn HTML/XHTML so that you can create pages using just notepad
2. Then learn about CSS and experiment with it.
3. Then you can start using a WYSIWYG editor to speed up development.

The above is only for static pages, when you want to start doing dynamic pages you will have to learn other languages like PHP, ASP, Cold Fusion, etc.

Dreamweaver and other editors like it are only tools to speed up production, they are NOT learning tools.

Learn the basics first !!

I have been doing web pages since HTML 1.0 and I am still learning.

Mike...

andy384
05-30-2005, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the help Mike. I appreciate all of the advice. It looks like I have a lot of learning to do. I was hoping it would be easier to just learn how to use WYSIWYG instead of learning HTML.

How long would you say it would take to learn HTML/XHTML?

Is it feasible for me to learn and build a decently complex site in a month? Or is that not realistic?

Thanks Again

gmcrone
05-30-2005, 11:01 PM
You could probably learn the basics in a month, but it will be several hours per day for 30 days.

For a complex site, depending on what you mean by complex, it will take a lot longer.

The reason I say to learn HTML/XHTML is that if you have errors in your pages, when you look at the code underlying the page, you will at least know what to look for.

Mike...

andy384
05-31-2005, 12:35 AM
Thanks Again Mike.

I just started doing a bunch of internet tutorials on HTML and CSS and it is making a lot of sense already. I made a basic static page already using notepad and it was much easier than I anticipated. It seems like I will just need a list handy of all the different tags(can I print a list off the internet somehwere?). I think I will be able to get it done in a month simply because all my pages will be static with the exception of a CONTACT dynamic form which I am sure won't be too too hard.

Do you recommend any specific internet tutorials I should go through, for .html or .css?

I checked out htmlgoodies.com and it was VERY helpful. Great tutorials. Looking at the code now I don't feel lost, I can actually see what is doing what! Which is great. Any other insight you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again

Drew

Sloth_Boy
05-31-2005, 12:36 AM
I bought a book called dreamweaver mx 2004 unleashed. It is a really good book, very big aswell (over 900 pages) so its value for money. You could learn everything you need to know out of this book even if you didnt know the first thing about web devolpment. Its for beginners and suits advanced users.

Its one of the cheaper ones aswell, its a really good book

give it a go...