PDA

View Full Version : Layer positioning in Dreamweaver vs. Browser

gwalker
05-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Hello,

I'm new here, and am an HTML illiterate photographer using Dreamweaver to make a simple website for myself. I'm running into a problem while using layers to do page layouts. Layers that have blocks of text and layers that have images in them aren't showing themselves to be arranged in my browser (Internet Explorer 5.1 for Mac) the same as they are in Dreamweaver (4). The layers with graphics situated above the text are fine, but the layers below, while directly below in Dreamweaver, are pushed maybe an inch or more below the edge of the text when viewed in Explorer. Is there a simple fix for this, because I can't figure it out.

Also, I was wondering what the best text format is for paragraph text. I have mine set up as preformatted, Times New Roman, size = none. What will ensure it looks okay on a browser.

After trying this out, I sure have some respect for you folks who can do this stuff with ease.

Any help would be appreciated, just remember, not too technical if it can be helped.
:blink:

rinser
05-27-2005, 06:42 PM
i had a similar problem with layers last week, they were moving around the screen when the resolution / browser window was changed.

do a seaerch for layers in any search engine. i found the solution there. i had to go into the code of the page, put a centred layer there, then build my layers by positioning them within it.

gwalker
05-27-2005, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the tip, but could anyone be more specific? I've been looking on-line but haven't found anything that addresses my problem specifically, or anything that changes the situation. Please have mercy on me if you know how to fix this.

cutelad1974
05-28-2005, 12:24 PM
try this, add this css to your style sheet:-

body {text-align-center;}
#wrapper {text-align:left; width:750px; margin:0 auto; position:relative;}

go to code view after having done this and change your code as follows;

<body> to <body>
<div id="wrapper">

and </body> to </div><!--/wrapper-->
</body>

place all new layers within this div and you wont go far wrong.