PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Search Engine Results page in a Frame

jool
05-25-2005, 05:37 PM
Creating a Results Page in a Master/detail Frameset

Hello all. Hope you are doing well. I have a problem (again). Any advice or thoughts would be fantastic. ;)

I am designing a simple PHP search engine which takes records from my database depending on the search criteria entered.

It works in the sense that after submit is selected, then next page reveals a list of the records matching the selected criteria. This is goodÖ.but :(

I want to press [SUBMIT] and be taken to a 2 frame frameset. On the right hand frame is the list of record fields which the search produced. Clicking on these records fields will display more details of this record in the left hand page (like a Master/Detail page).

However, I am having problems getting this to work. My failings are this:

If the results page (results.php) is the right hand side page in the frameset, after I have pressed [SUBMIT] on the search page, I am taken directly to the results.php page (the frameset I put it in is by-passed).

If I make the GET ACTION method from the search page the actual frameset itself, then the right hand side (results/master) page does not list the criteria specified by the search, but just the top entries in the database.

Right, that probably made very little sense. I apologize for my poor explanation. I think I just want to know if you can display results from a search in the right hand column of a frameset.

ANY advice or opinions would be welcomed. I wonder if I should even be doing this with frames. I canít really program so have been using them as I donít really know what else to use. If you think I should be doing this a different way please let me know.

Thanks all

jool
05-27-2005, 08:54 PM
I'M ATTEMPTING THIS A DIFFERENT WAY NOW SO PLEASE DON'T RESPOND TO THIS POST ANYMORE