PDA

View Full Version : Educational Copy

andy384
05-22-2005, 08:05 PM
While in school I took a web design class and was required to purchase Dreamweaver and I got the educational license. Now that I have graduated and have started a company I might want to use my license to design my website.

I know this is "morally wrong". BUT that isn't my question and I am not intending to do this. I am not suggesting anyone do this, just asking a question.

Is there something hidden in the source code of the educational copy that will show up if someone examines my website source code?

Basically, does the source code reveal whether or not the website was created with a Dreamweaver educational license or regular license?

If not, are there ANY DIFFERENCES between the two licenses?

Thanks for any help

domedia
05-23-2005, 02:44 PM
The difference lies in the license.

It's not only a moral issue, but a legal one as well.
Using the educational license to create commercial websites is not allowed and a breach of the license that was granted with the educational copy.

Jim_Shady
05-23-2005, 03:04 PM
But will anyone know Domedia? Thats the question....?

Jim Shady.

domedia
05-23-2005, 04:04 PM
No, it's not the question.
Would you steal money from someone if you though you would not get caught?
And discussing breaking a license agreement on a public board is not the smartest thing either imho.

andy384
05-23-2005, 06:07 PM
I specifically said I AM NOT intending to do this. I am truly sorry if this is offensive to anyone and it was not my intention. I AM NOT endorsing breaking a license agreement or even suggesting it in any way. Only asking a question about the software.

The question is simply would anyone know the difference as stated by Jim.

Once again, I AM NOT PROMOTING breaking of license, I was only curious of the differences if any. Hope everyone can understand this.

Jim_Shady
05-25-2005, 08:56 AM
I know what you mean domedia - but seriously mate - chill.

No skin off your nose if you say 'as far as I know then there is no way for anyone to tell' or something like that.

As the guy says - he's no intention of actually DOING it, and I own the full version anyway, but we're just curious! Well I am anyway. It's human nature - I wonder about things like this sometimes and then want to know the answer.

Like you say though - this perhaps isn't the best place to be discussing such things - I'll be suprised if some Macromedia staff don't browse on here from time to time.

Shady.

domedia
05-26-2005, 06:30 PM
I'm glad we all agree to support Macromedia that have created the software we use.
It wasn't my intention to accuse anyone, I read my posts again and can't see that I directly did. I'll try to phrase myself differently next time the question comes up.
If any of you *do* know about anyone using Dreamweaver illegally (like using the educational copy for commercial use as mentioned earlier) , I recommend contacting Macromedia about it ('http://www.macromedia.com/bin/report_piracy.cgi'), so we don't end up paying for their use of the software.

kate
05-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Hya,

Sorry jim i'm with domedia on this subject, it should'nt even come up in any discussion in my opinion and I would stop it right in its tracks and remove the post at my own forums.

Education Versions may not be used for, or distributed to any party for, any commercial purpose.
Unless otherwise provided herein, you shall not (A) in the aggregate, install or use more than one copy of the Trial Version of the Software, (B) download the Trial Version of the Software under more than one username, alter the contents of a hard drive or computer system to enable the use of the Trial Version of the Software for an aggregate period in excess of the trial period for one license to such Trial Version, (D) disclose the results of software performance benchmarks obtained using the Trial Version to any third party without Macromedia's prior written consent, or (E) use the Trial Version of the Software for a purpose other than the sole purpose of determining whether to purchase a license to a commercial or education version of the software; provided, however, notwithstanding the foregoing, you are strictly prohibited from installing or using the Trial Version of the Software for any commercial training purpose.
You may only use the Not For Resale Version of the Software to review and evaluate the Software.

And thats only a small part of the very lengthly end user licence agreement!

Macromedia.com

:)

andy384
05-26-2005, 07:18 PM
I don't understand why everyone is so uptight about this. And I am quite franky offended that someone said this post should have been removed. You must be kidding.

1. It is an innocent question, "is there a difference in the software".

2. Nowhere in any post did it say that I was going to break a license agreement or suggested anyone else do it.

3. It is a simple question with a simple answer.

4. The question has nothing to do with the license, I am fully aware of my usage rights granted to me by the educational license.

5. The discussion following my question didn't answer my question, all it did was re-iterate what I already know about the license agreement. THIS IS NOT WHAT I INTENDED TO DISCUSS when I made the post. I UNDERSTAND THE LICENSE AGREEMENT AND AM FULLY AWARE OF WHAT IS LEGAL AND WHAT IS ILLEGAL. All I needed was a simple yes there is a difference, or a no there isn't a difference. Instead the question gets turned into something else and we are talking about the license.

6. In my orginal post I specifically said I AM NOT INTENDING TO DO THIS. I don't know how much clearer I can be about the subject. The question was never about the license and I am truly sorry that it digressed into discussing the license.

kate
05-26-2005, 07:29 PM
Hya Andy,
I did'nt say remove from here, sorry if you got me wrong, its what I would have done at mine for the reason there is too many nuts who think its ok to diddle whoever. best to play safe and not discuss.

No you did'nt say much harmful suggestion wise that is YOU did'nt but another may well have this thought running in their head. I simply say lets play safe and not compromise domedia's forum through Macromedia getting wind of the least thing that may even suggest he supports anything other than the software both bought and used in the proper manner.

Kate.

ranjan
05-26-2005, 09:24 PM
there is no difference in the output of the 2 versions.
so no one will know the difference.

question is answered. can we put an end to the discussion now, there is no point replying to this thread any further, if i was the mod i would have locked the thread by now.

andy384
05-26-2005, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the answer.

Consider the post ended.