PDA

View Full Version : div placement

cochese
05-21-2005, 03:04 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new to Dreamweaver, and web design, so please overlook my ignorance. :) Instead of working with tables, I'm taking the plunge and trying to use CSS. I'll describe what I'm trying to accomplish, and if anyone is able, please tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree, and if not, maybe how to do it.

I'm starting with a frame page, left frame is the nav area, right side is where the content is going. In the nave area, the top part will have a small logo, the middle will be the actual navigation area, and at the bottom of the page I want another little picture/logo. I want this picture logo to always be at the bottom, no matter what screen resolution the user has. oh, btw, the nav area won't be scrollable.

I can do this with tables, but I'm trying not to. When I try css, I'm lost. So far I have placed 3 divs in the nav area, but they stack one on top of the other. I can give them a particular height in pixels, which allows me to align the bottom pic to the bottom in my resolution, but doesn't make it flexible to another's resolution. I tried giving the div a %, but that seemed to do nothing at all.

And while I'm at it...is it possible to give the middle div (the actual nav area) a % size, so that I can make the nav links always in the center of the frame, no matter what the user's resolution is at? If so, then wouldn't it always push the bottom div (with my picture/logo) to the bottom as well? ...killing two birds with one stone ;)

Thanks for the help. I'm glad I found thsi place.

-MIKE

gmcrone
05-22-2005, 06:52 PM
1. Can you give us a URL to the page so we can see your markup??

2. Don't use frames, they are outdated and will soon go the way of the dodo bird.

Have you tried to do a "float: left" on your nav div's?

Mike...

cochese
05-22-2005, 07:10 PM
No, I don't have a page up...but even if I did, there wouldn't be anything to show, I only have the one page (with a colored background) and the 3 divs stacked ontop of each other.

In another forum, someone told me that you can't align a div to the bottom of the screen so that it stays there (at the bottom) no mater what a person's screen resolution is....only way to do this is with tables. So i'm told.

gmcrone
05-22-2005, 08:11 PM
1. Footers can be positioned, see this article from A List Apart

Footer positioning from A List Apart ('http://www.alistapart.com/articles/footers/')

2. Can you copy your nav area markup to a message here and we can take a look at it.

3. We are gonna tell ya don't use frames again

Mike...

cochese
05-22-2005, 09:46 PM
I spent most of my weekend messing aroundin Dreamweaver trying to get things to come together (without success). I'll read that article tonight or tomorrow...I need break, shewww.

As for the frames, everyone says not to use them, but I seen no harm in it. The bookmarking/back button issues that I'v read about aren't a problem in IE or Opera, and I'm not too worried abotu search engines...but anyway, I would gladly not use them if I could find a way to have my left side nagivation be visible at all time, even while someone scrolls down reading content.

domedia
05-23-2005, 03:47 PM
As for the frames, everyone says not to use them, but I seen no harm in it.
Then you obviously know more than me, so I won't be of much help :)

gmcrone
05-23-2005, 04:48 PM
Check out this page if you wan't a total CSS solution

Fake frames with CSS ('http://underscorebleach.net/content/www_style/examples/quasi-frames/')

Mike...

cochese
05-28-2005, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the continuing help. I've decided to change my design around abit (no frames now, aren't you proud? :)

What I am trying to do now is have a left & right 'border' with all the content going down the middle. Each border (on the left & right) should have a graphic going down the length of the screen (viewport).

I have managed to creat my left, center, and right divs correctly, and I have my footer done so it is always at the bottom of my content (whichever div is the longest). What I can't seem to figure out his how to put a background in the left & right div that will tile. Well, it will tile, but only as long as the div is (which is dependent on how long the content is)...I can't get it to tile the length of the screen...which I'm gathering from my googling, isn't even possible.

Here is what I have attempted as a work around. I tried putting the left graphic as a background in the body. It tiles correctly, and lays under my left div, but if I give it padding, it pushes the left div over. I can solve this by giving the left graphic a width that I want (the same width as my left div)....only thing is, how do I put the same graphic over on the right side at the same time? Another thing I tried was using my divContainer to hold my background...that worked great, but I still can't have it on the left & right at the same time (thought of floating it to the right, but then I can't have it tile vertiacally the length of the screen). The only other thing I can think of doing is to use my divContainer for the left side, then lay another div right over the container (with the same styles) and make a background on the right side. However, I'm not sure how do to this, or if it will mess my page up (my left, right center & footer divs).

Can anyone help me out with this? or give another suggestion? Thank you for your time.

cochese
05-28-2005, 05:25 PM
gmcrone:

I checked out that link you posted, for the fake frames. I liked the idea alot, and mimicked it successfully, but it doesn't work in IE. In dreamweaver, when i put in the fixed position for the nav div it underlines it saying it won't work in this & that browser, which is true :)

So I don't think it's a fair work around, if it only works in Opera & Firefox/Mozilla :)