PDA

View Full Version : Novice needs help

keith
05-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Hi. I am quite new to Dreamweaver, and have disigned a couple of sites that I think are nice looking. However, when I went onto them on someone elses computer, which was a higher resolution - it looked different. I realised that I don't know what sizes to use, and do I align it all to the left or to the centre, so that It looks OK on any computer.

Also .... how the heck can I insert a vertical line? I want to put an upright line (like a horizontal rule ... only vertical)

Finally, is it possible to shape a photo with rounded corners, or put a rounded corner border on it?

Hope someone can help.

kate
05-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Hya,
From my forums try this chunk of code Keith:

<top><table width="100%" height="10%" border="0"
cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><TR><td valign="top"
align="center">

:)

gmcrone
05-22-2005, 06:24 PM
1. What you need to create is what is called a fluid layout. Meaning it will resize itself properly depending on the users screen resolution.
This can be done either using tables based on a percentage layout or with CSS positioning.

2. Verical lines are normally created by using a graphic of a line and positioning it where you want it. Vertical dividers can also be created using CSS and the border property.

3. Rounded corners. Yes it can be done, but takes a bit of work. You need a graphics program like Fireworks to create a vector mask that is rounded and then pour/import your graphic inside the mask. There are other ways using CSS/tables etc and creating the corner graphics by slicing your image and making the 4 corners with a transparent background.
The image itself is always a rectangle, but using the above methods makes it appear to be rounded.

Mike...

keith
05-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Thanks a lot. I'll have to take a while to read it through, and try to figure it out. I have firefox but haven't installed it yet.

Are you saying that if I use only percentages for the table widths, it will look right on any resolution screen. (What happens to the photos then?)

gmcrone
05-22-2005, 08:00 PM
Your content including pictures will move to fill the space available depending on the users screen resolution.

The only way to have everything stay exact is by using CSS absolute positioning.

Mike...