PDA

View Full Version : Basics of HTML?

burriedcreativity
05-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Hello Everybody,

Being in this Web Designing field from last 3-4 months, I am learing tips and techniques for effective web designing. I used Photoshop for most of my Web Designing work till now. Now Iíve decided to try my hand on CSS.

The biggest question in front of me, is How CSS can be useful for the design that is created with Photoshop with slices?

Photoshop creates whole-lot-a puzzle of TD & TR in its HTML code! But with CSS templates I saw <DIV> tag used most of the time than <TABLE> <TD> and <TR>. What exactly is <DIV> tag and how I can use it in my HTML document? I havenít seen any <Table> tag in the entire HTML Page in those templates created using CSS!

-- Thank you.

gmcrone
05-22-2005, 06:48 PM
It is done by using CSS absolute positioning.

Take a look at this page from one of my clients.

Sample client page ('http://www.kridan.com/index2.htm')

A sliced graphic where the actual slices are positioned using CSS.
Used Photoshop to create the slices, but not the HTML markup.

Basically In Dreamweaver create an absolute positioned div, then drop graphic into it,
then move it to where you want it on page and resize the div to fit the graphic exactly. repeat the same for all your slices.

Mike...

kate
05-22-2005, 08:05 PM
Whats with the wizard Mike...lmaoooo

:lol: :lol:

gmcrone
05-22-2005, 08:44 PM
Client wanted it, what can I say.

He wanted something to give a voice announcement on entering page,
this is the lowest bandwidth solution.

BTW, only works in IE....

Mike

burriedcreativity
05-24-2005, 06:21 AM
Hey Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation

The thing here is I am not all that HTML expert person. I have just learnt the basics of it. So will you pls. explain how i should use the DIV tag effectively ? with an example will be great !

-- Thank you.

domedia
05-24-2005, 12:24 PM
If you plan on using div's effectively, you need to know some HTML. If you make webpages from photoshop it's not for you I think.

Creating a website without tables means sometimes to remove yourself from the trained though of table websites.

A DIV is nothing but a container, it has no semantical value like most other HTML tags.

gmcrone
05-24-2005, 10:09 PM
Take a look at the template I created for our members.

Free Member Template ('http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=249')

DIV's are just used to separate your content areas.

Your header, navigation, footer, and main content areas are all separated by putting each of them in an individual DIV.

When planning your site you have to think in layout areas, and then name each area with a DIV such as <div id="header">head content</div>

Then in your CSS file you tell the browser where each section goes and how to style it.

Mike...

Vincent
06-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Mike Crone-
Superb job on that Kridan Security site!! I am impressed, not only with the content, but with how you kept the size down...bravo! I think the wizard dude is cool...
Vin Croce

domedia
06-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Yeah, the wizard was something else ;)
I've actually never seen anything like that :D

gmcrone
06-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Thank you, guys

The wizard is the one from MS office converted to web use. That is why it only works in MS Explorer. If you have the speech addon pack from MS then the wizard also talks to you.

Mike...