PDA

View Full Version : First website

SJCH
05-18-2005, 08:32 AM
Hi all,

Well, my first website is now uploaded and although it's not very exciting, its there and it will keep the boss off my back for a week or two.

However, I do have a few problems that i'm sure someone can help me out with. Firstly, I have a background image which I have then put text over the top of using a layer, I did this because I wanted to let the background image show behind the text. Unfortunately, I can't centre the whole page because the layer won't stay where it should when resize the page, so I have had to make do with keeping the page ranged left.

Secondly, i've added keywords and a description but when I try to find some of the keywords on a search engine they don't seem to work, any tips?

Please let me know what you think of my website, I know it's very basic but be honest with your opinions.

www.jsalmon.co.uk

Many thanks
SJCH

rinser
05-18-2005, 12:22 PM
i checked your site and i reckon its doing what it is supposed to be doing.
it's clean and tells me what i need to know - the homepage at least. for a tiny, tiny bit of interactivity, why not use rollovers for the links ? if you have Fireworks its easy.
good luck : ive almost finished a site for my boss too. trouble is, he's never satisfied and i dont think it will ever get finished !

domedia
05-18-2005, 05:50 PM
I think it looks great, neat and clean.

The reason you can't use DW layers and a centered layout is because a layer is positioned absolutely. That mean it has a certain position from the top left corner of the viewport in the browser. If your design is centered (relative) the website and the things in it will dynamically change distance from the top and left, so they're not compatible.

To be found on search engines you have to read a little up on SEO, there's a couple of articles on this website you can check out. DW Club Search Engine Articles ('http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/search-engine-articles.php'). It takes the search engine some time to index your page, no instant gratification here, and make sure they even know your website exist. SEO is not an easy game, to be seen you need to educate yourself on the topic. :)

Jim_Shady
05-19-2005, 09:56 AM
Hi SJCH,

I echo Domedia's comments - site is looking ok. Too many sites are cluttered/crowded messes of information. Keep it clean and neat like you have done.

The problem? Well if you can be arsed then I suggest creating a table of 1x1 which is the same size as your background image. Then set the image as the background to that table. And then grab the rest of the info, which I believe is in a table, and then put that inside the other table. You can then centre the larger of the two tables.

See what I mean? This may not work - but it might do!

Jim Shady.

SJCH
05-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Thanks everyone for all your advice/comments, I really do appreciate them.

Domedia, the search engine spider simulator tool which is mentioned in the the article that you recommended looks just what i'm looking for, unfortunately i'm working on Macs. Do you know of any good Mac comparisons?

Until the next time
SJCH