PDA

View Full Version : maximum k for a web page ?

rinser
05-13-2005, 03:25 PM
My first homepage is almost there. i have the graphics, the image, the links, the layers, the rollovers....

down below it tells me that the size of my page is 296k. something tells me that this is too large a size. is it ? my page isnt so rich in content, a lot less so than other pages that load fast.

thanks for any advices

domedia
05-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Your page seem to load fast for you because you already have loaded it before, most of the elements are already in your cache. Click CTRL+F for a fresh load.

296k is too much, usually. It's most likely some images you have no optimized for the web. If you give URL and software used for saving jpg's/gif's I could give you some more pointers.

rinser
05-14-2005, 01:36 AM
okay thanks for that.

(this is a good example of learning through doing - i remember reading and finishing the exercise about optimizing in the book and then ofcourse i forgot it as soon as i started the next chapter.

ok :
i have optimized what i can in FW and we are now at 116k compared to 296k as it was before optimization.
i have a little animation going on that is taking up around a 25k slice of the pie. i know that this animation isnt exactly the hub of the page.
should i bin it or is there a way i can optimize it ?

thanks again, i appreciate your help on this

domedia
05-14-2005, 03:56 PM
You could save your animation with less amount of colors and see how it turns out.
Another question you can ask youself is why you have the animation there. Is it crucial to your content? Something animated is going to grab attention, do you want people to focus on the animation or other parts of your website? Most animations I see on websites should not have been there..

rinser
05-15-2005, 01:49 AM
after thinking about what you said yeah i am keeping the little animation in - its a few words that fade in and out and it should stay i reckon.

so the page remains around 110k. is this acceptable ? what is the appropriate size ?

cheers.

domedia
05-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Honestly, try to get as close to 40k as possible. It can be hard, god knows I'm not even close many times, but a 40k page loads fast if there's no other bottlenecks.

Torgut
05-16-2005, 03:25 PM
I guess this is one of those questions without an exact answer. Our good administrator says 40 kb should be a good reference size. Allow me to have a diferent opinion; that might be a fair value when I start on this webdesign job, 9 years ago. However times changes, and technology changes as well.

There are no 28 Modems anymore; are there any of 56 remaining? Probably, but I wouldn't give any priority to those users. I aim to cable and DSL users and for those, something like 40 kb is too much a breeze. People can handle more.

In the exact situation presented in this topic, and keep in mind that all these is my single opinion, I would say it's a little in the limit, but I wouldn't worry, specially if there isn't any way around to offer the same contents with less Kb's.

ranjan
05-16-2005, 08:36 PM
People can handle more.

You probably forget that in many countries, internet access is

1. Not free unlimited bandwidth, people pay per MB download.
2. Slow, not many broadband users.

junjun26
05-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Actually, I think *everyone* is right :)

Bottom line is your target audience, which often would be different from website to website. So rinser, you should find out who your users are, the more you know about them, the better you can serve them. And if some of them are on dial-up, you should make sure they can use your website. ..and these are my personal opinions of course ;)

rinser
05-18-2005, 12:09 PM
yeah, looking at this thread i can see : its all about perceived audience. those who will check this site i have made will be certainly using DSL or better. so maybe i will not sweat it too much if the page hovers around 100k.

but then again, i dont want to fall into the habit of being greedy.... so i am going to try and tweak some more and make the page a bit trimmer and fitter.

domedia
05-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Just remember an important rule in Web Usability :)
Know thy user; You are not thy user.