PDA

View Full Version : Some begginer questions

Zdrenga
05-12-2005, 12:12 AM
First of all, I would like to say HI to all of you!
Second of all, I would like to ask some questions:

1. Considering I want to build a site with... let's sat 50 pages. All the pages would consist in a manu (in the left of the screen) and the content (in the centre-right of the screen). And considering that, in time, I want to add a new section in the menu, that should be visible in all the pages, without having to modify each page to add that section in each page's menu. What is the best way to do it? I use a template (index.dwt) that is used by all the pages, so when I want to modify a section that I want to apply on all the pages, I just modify the template and update it in all the pages. The problem is the following: I can't just modify (or I just don't know how) any thing in that template so that it can apply to all the other pages. To be more specific, the only section that is editable in the pages that use that template is the content. Almost everything else is blocked (and I don't know how to unblock it).

<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
<title>Alpha Design - Firma de web design</title>
<!-- TemplateEndEditable -->

<META name="SUBJECT" content="webdesign">
<META name="distribution" content="global">
<meta name="description" content="Web design - Firma de webdesign din Romania">
<meta name="keywords" content="webdesign web design animatii flash optimizare promovare firma poze statice dinamice portofoliu mici preturi ">
<META name="identifier-url" content="http://www.alphadesign.3x.ro">
<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="index,follow">
<META NAME="COPYRIGHT" CONTENT="Alpha Design">

In this example, I can only modify the title of the head, the other "meta-s" are blocked. I want to be able to edit the other meta names for each page that I have, but I can't (or don't know how), because if I move "<!-- TemplateEndEditable --> " to the end of this code above ( I am now talking about modifying the template .dwt file), all the code appears in the pages that use the template as the first three lines listed above, so the code under "<!-- TemplateEndEditable --> " dissapears in the pages.

2. I split the sections of my pages into a table with a few rows and columns. The problem is that, depending to the resolution, to the display of the browser, the table autofits to the margins of the page shown in the browser, so it some use a higher resolution, some parts of the pages can either be blank or could have a weird design. The question is: Is there anyway I can FIX the dimensions of the table, so that it doesn't autofit the screen of the browser? Or maybe a better alternative?

Please feel free to ask me anything you want if you haven't understood what I meant and please give me any kind of answer you think could help me. You may even criticise me, I don't care. I just want to figure this out.

Thank you and have a nice day!

bluebird
05-13-2005, 05:19 PM
I found this that might help:

Just as with custom scripts, you cannot modify any content in the head region of a page created from a template unless you have created a special editable region there.

Switch to Code view and locate the <head> tags at the top of the document. In particular, look for the title tags contained in the document. They should look something like this:

<head>
<!--#BeginEditable "doctitle" -->
<title>Your Title Here</title>
<!-- #EndEditable -->

Your completed revisions should look something like this when you're done:

<head>

<title>Untitled Document</title>

<meta name="keywords" content="keyword 1, keyword 2, keyword 3, etc.">

<!-- #EndEditable -->

In addition to this method you could simply insert the meta tags into the defined editable region in the head of your document. While spelling out the location of your meta tags as in the example above may make things clearer, all that is really required is placing your head content into any area defined as editable in the code.

Those tags look like this:

<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="head" --> <!-- TemplateEndEditable -->

Zdrenga
05-13-2005, 11:41 PM
Thank you for your answer but it still doesn't work. It's the same problem as I said in the first post.

So, here is an example:

In the template, the code looks like this:
=========================
<title>Web design, optimizare, promovare, poze, animatii.</title>
<meta name="description" content="Servicii de web design profesional, optimizare pentru motoare de cautare, promovare in directoare web si in topuri & statistici, creare poze statice si dinamice, animatii flash.">
<meta name="keywords" content="webdesign web design animatii flash optimizare promovare firma poze statice dinamice portofoliu mici preturi ">
<META name="SUBJECT" content="webdesign">
<!-- #EndEditable -->

or like this:
<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
<meta name="description" content="Servicii de web design profesional, optimizare pentru motoare de cautare, promovare in directoare web si in topuri & statistici, creare poze statice si dinamice, animatii flash.">
<!-- TemplateEndEditable -->
==========================

After I make the change I save the template, I update the files that are using this template and when I look at those child files, the code looks like this:
===========================
<!-- #BeginEditable "doctitle" -->
<!-- #EndEditable -->

or like this:
<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

So, every single meta tag that I placed inside
<!-- #BeginEditable "doctitle" -->INSIDE<!-- #EndEditable -->
or inside
<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="doctitle" --> INSIDE <!-- InstanceEndEditable -->
in the template, it just DISSAPEARS when viewing the child pages!!! Those meta tags no longer appear in the child pages at all!

What can be wrong?

For an easier understanding by the users of the forum, my question resumes to the following:
How can I set the meta tags in a template file to be editable for the child pages?

bluebird
05-14-2005, 03:48 AM
Using the below tag before the ending head tag should work. You'll have to put the meta tags in the editable region of the template. Since they are editable you can't update existing files, but going forward (on new files) it will put them in so you can change them. You may have to fix existing files in your site (cut and paste the code into each file's editable region then save the file).

<head>

<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="head">

<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

</head>

On your #2.. I didn't answer that...while in layout view, try using a fixed width or pixels on the table instead of autostrech or 100% width. It may be that you need to insert a spacer graphic to help.