PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Site - testing server, specifically

Clayton
05-11-2005, 01:34 PM
I'm trying to create an asp page to converse with an Access database. Have been using a 'site' within 'My Web Pages' (the default) for some time now. Just need to get a database into the mix.

I'm having trouble with using the Live Data View button. I get ...Verify that the URL prefix maps to the root of your site. Would you like to change the location of your testing server?

I've tried C:\Inetpub\wwwRoot as well as the folder known as the local folder - as in, the My Web Pages folder that has everything in it related to my web.

I searched the forum for 'testing server' and came across the message below. As it is similar to my problem (I do have working domain name), I wanted to follow it up. I tried to connect with the person that submitted it (robin), but it must have been posted by a guest, as there is no 'robin' .

The actual message I get says HTTP error 404 (file not found) occured while attempting to request the file http://www.ABCSERVICES.com/firstpage_8cxj6gbrtg.asp ('http://www.ABCSERVICES.com/firstpage_8cxj6gbrtg.asp') from the testing server.

I'm thinking that somewhere I read that you need to create a file or folder within the folder c:\Inetpub or Inetpub\wwwRoot. I'm using XP Professional, and the ol' server seems to be up and running. I can't seem to plug the right strings into the various boxes when defining my site. Can someone help me out with this?

I thank you for your time.

Clayton

<span style='color:blue'>I'm just learning Dreamweaver and i want to try dynamic pages with a database. I've created a small Access database in my site's folder. I've added it as an ODBC data source under System DSN. I tested the connection in DW and it was fine. Under the databases tab in DW I've got a check mark next to 'Create a site for the file' and one next to 'Choose a document type'. I can't get a check mark next to 'set up site's testing server'. I've tried many things in the URL prefix field but I don't actually have a domain yet so i haven't mapped a folder to my domain name (something only vaguely referenced to in a DW book). Among other things, I tried leaving the default http://localhost/ ('http://localhost/') and adding various references to my site's folders, but i get the message 'The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost' from Netscape when i tried to preview the test page and 'Page cannot be displayed' from IE. Do i need a domain name first just to test a dynamic data from a database? And how do i map it to a folder when i get one? Or is there something else wrong altogether? I really have no idea.

I'm on WinXP using IE 6 and Netscape 7 and Dreamweaver MX (2002). </span>Thanks in advance for any help.

Clayton
05-18-2005, 09:28 PM
Still working on getting my Dreamweaver to be able to hook up with my test server for using an Access database. It has worked before (when using the live data button), but doesn't currently get that far. RanJan had provided me with some infoÖ

Here is how I do it....

1. Lets say I am working on my website www.ranjan.ws I create a folder called "ranjan" inside wwwroot. Put all my working files in this folder

2. While defining the site, under testing server i use the following settings
Server Model: ASP VBScript
Access : Local/Network
Testing Server Folder : C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ranjan
URL prefix : http://localhost/ranjan ('http://localhost/ranjan')

And for a moment, it worked for testing. I was getting a repeating region with good data.

At that time, my MDB file on my hosting service was showing as password protected (according to them). But my testing server was returning a repeating region. And this was probably while I was still getting the alert box on opening the Access DB warning me that macros could be enabled or not.

The default settings when it is created on my host server are noread, read, modify, for ASPNET, NETWORKSERVICE, IUSR_1408, and my own user id.

I've solved that, as I must use their direct access browser to manage the objects, setting the profiles to Ďmodifyí for all (at least I think Iíve solved that).

On the local mdb file, I set the security (for macros) to the lowest setting, thereby shutting off the dialog box that asks if I want to allow or disallow macros on opening. At least locally. Then published, adjusted the properties as above, etc.

So, now I can't 'test' the page (the message says adjust the timeout value on the DSN (done). The message also links to a page that lists the error - Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] Couldn't use '(unknown)'; file already in use.

This is while trying to serve up the page /xxxServices/HOBBYSHOP/_8w392gpaa1.asp, line 5.

Which is probably - Recordset1.ActiveConnection = MM_hobbyshop_STRING;

Might I have an old (97) driver that wonít work with an Access 2003 db? Access tells me that (2000 file format) is in use, btw.

Upon getting this error when checking for live data, Iím left with an ldb file (on the local view, anyway), indicating that the Access database is still open. Or at least not closed properly. And only Dreamweaver believes this, as exploring to the folder doesnít show an ldb file at all.

So, attempting to publish everything, and running it from the url, I get an error 500 or so, telling me that there's an error on the page. Which appears to be in the 'connection' arena. I've tried the two drivers for mdb files that appear for the DSN (system DSN, btw, not local). And the 'test connection' button, seems to work fine with either driver and any settings within the connection (specifically, the timeout duration, which MS or DW suggests should be 50000).

I tried creating a Ďlocalí DSN, but they donít show as an option when creating or editing a connection in DW.

Much of my efforts gave revolved around a test asp page (that I keep re-creating) and does not actually contain any repeating regions or even data fields in general that use the data. Iíve gotten lazy in my re-creating, and I was following the instructions at this point in my trusty for Dummies book

Again, Iím hooking up a recordset, and hitting the test with live data button. Figuring I ought to test a page with a connection/recordset Ė and not necessarily have a table with one row for the first record of the recordset or whatever.

Must I actually have need for the recordset somewhere in order for my test with live data action? It appears that DW thinks it has the mdb file open (the presence of the ldb file). Closing DW and re-opening, shows only the mdb file.

Iíd sure like some thoughts on this, as Iíve been gearing up for it for awhile. One of the main reasons for moving to DW (from a few years of using FrontPage), was the db processing. Iíve got plenty of static pages with both tools, which is what I want to change. The whole process seems straightforward enough, but Iím at a bump in the road.

Best,

Clayton