PDA

View Full Version : Any way to make a photo album with templates ?

nurgle2005
05-09-2005, 04:13 AM
is there any way to make a photo album use a template, or apply such. ??

When I use Web Photo Album in DW, I use a background image... that comes up behind the thumbnails in page view, but DW creates new HTML pages for every image, that is navigated to.. and that background does not show up there... it makes my photo album inconsistent.

What I want is a consistent look across all Pages, links etc..... I have looked at various Templates, but they dont seem to do it for me.. I am a total beginner at this web stuff.

PhotoShop makes a half decent photo album, and Ihave worked out that saving directly to the DW's mywebsite folder I can in a few ways modify it... but that to has its limitations.

I saw a few third party (cheap mac) programs for creating web photo albums that do not creat a multiple pages, but make a single html page... but the are so hard to get any results it is hard to use them, and then modify that in DW.

One album of iamges (from glass negs) is 800 images (trimed down from the 2,000 negs bythat one photographer. my image collection is 100,000 images plus.) what I want to creat is a web site, with several photographers albums (in several linked pages)...

any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

ranjan
05-09-2005, 04:19 AM
You need a dynamic application

Check....

http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_...ries/index.html ('http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Image_Galleries/index.html')

domedia
05-09-2005, 07:12 PM
nurgle,
if you are a complete beginner at this stuff you should find someone to maybe do this for you first. One step at the time, and this is definately not first step category stuff :)

You could look at some of the apps ranjan linked you to, but unless you are somewhat familiar with server side technologies you can forget about it :(

Macromedia has a pretty decent developer tutorial for the photo album ('http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/dreamweaver/articles/photo_album1.html'), try it out, but some of this stuff is not for beginners.

Good Luck anyhow! :)

ranjan
05-09-2005, 08:04 PM
my image collection is 100,000 images plus

For that kind of image load, any solution that is static (as suggested by domedia above) is a mind boggling effort. It means

1. Not just 100,000 images but also
2. 100,000 thumbnails
3. and a 100,000 HTML pages
4. Time to individually captio each page

Its absurd.

Think dynamic, follow my links, try and learn the stuff, most solutions listed are one click installs...

ranjan
05-09-2005, 09:03 PM
not to mention if you have to add 1 image , u go through the hassle allover again in any static solution

nurgle2005
05-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Hi,

you are right, Dreamweaver is just bloody hopeless for me...

and the Web Photo album in Dreamweaver is pathetic.

As a photographer I am appalled by all the programs that I have seen... none work the way photographers think or work.

Thanks anyway... bye.