PDA

View Full Version : My first DW site - very nearly there!

Coober
04-26-2005, 10:17 AM
My first DW site is now on-line for testing.

As with all other members' previous posts like this, it has taken lots of patience, asking 'daft' questions etc. but I'm now nearly there.

This site is for my own guest house, so the 3 months (yes, that's THREE months) of solid work can be justified, unlike working on someone else's project for that long. The wife complains bitterly about the time I've spent on this project, but hopefully she'll come around when she sees the finished site.

Anyway, the site has been uploaded for testing and can be found here www.leschambres.co.za/test/index.htm ('http://www.leschambres.co.za/test/index.htm')
The only other site I've put together is the one that's still currently live www.leschambres.co.za ('http://www.leschambres.co.za') which was built using FrontPage.

If anyone has the time to take a look at the new site, I would be grateful for any comments or reports of problems. I would especially like to know if the flash movie on the index.htm page has too much going on at the same time and also if the body text is too small for general audience (most of my target audience are middle-aged).

At present the 'Reservation Enquiry' page is not quite 100% (the okpage does not do its thing) and a page or two is still missing some graphics, but please ignore this.

Many thanks,

Coober

Jim_Shady
04-26-2005, 01:27 PM
Good effort this Cooper. The Flash is cool. Although despite my broadband it seemed to be about 5 seconds of the page before the move clicked into gear. Could do with this delay speeding up somehow? I was sat thinking "What flash movie?" for a few seconds!

Generally very nice. Although I'm not a fan of the colours. But thats personal preference.

Jim Shady.

Coober
04-27-2005, 03:46 PM
I'm a little surprised that the Flash movie took so long to load. There is a preloader that preloads the biggest images (74kb in total) before the movie starts, but that should not present a problem if you have a fast connection.

I know that from here (South Africa) to the real World, we only have one fixed under-sea connection which, I'm told, the operators very kindly throttle. For me (with a DSL connection), this results in slower surfing for international sites, but much quicker for local sites. I guess that this also works in reverse; my site being hosted in SA will be slower when 'exported' overseas.

I guess that unless I radically sreamline the Flash content, (which I can't do without losing the overall feel of the movie) the movie will just have to load slowly.

Anyway, many thanks for your input. I hope some others also provide some feedback.

Coober

kate
04-27-2005, 04:58 PM
The Flash site loaded very quickly for me on broadband, I myself like the colour scheme. the site is very smooth and love your animation and the 'play again' is great if time allows lol

Frontpage is'nt a patch on Dreamweaver although I have used that for a site some years go lol

Well done!

JaCKaL
04-28-2005, 03:46 AM
I'm trying also to build my first site but is nothing compared to yours!
Keep it real m8! :D

domedia
05-01-2005, 03:33 PM
I think that was an excellent first DW site for you! Beautiful colorscheme and great information about the accomodations and the area. Howcome there's no pricing information? My wife's a travel professional, somewhat matching your property (highend travel) and I'll ask her for her verdict later.

ot: I spent a month several years ago up north near Pietersburg and absolutely loved South Africa. Unfortunately I never got to spend any time south of Johannesburg, but I had some friends spending time there the same time I was up north, and they had a blast as well!

Coober
05-01-2005, 05:01 PM
There are pricing details listed under 'Reservation enquiries'.

Perhaps this may be a bit obscure though if you were unable to find it. I shall have to give the matter some thought.

Coober