PDA

View Full Version : Side Navbar

johncraftiv
04-22-2005, 09:43 PM
I am creating a new site with multiple pages each with a different top banner (and own template). I would like to have a side navigation bar that is consistent throughout the site. Is there any way to link to a Fireworks HTML so that I can update the navbar once and have it referred to in multiple pages?

Am I even making sense?

gmcrone
04-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Does each page have a different template??

If so that is not the way to use templates.

If you are using one template, you can add your nav bar to the template.
OR
Another approach is to make your nav bar code into a library item and then add it to each page.

Mike...

johncraftiv
04-24-2005, 12:05 AM
Each page doesn't have its own template, but groups of pages will. It's a church website with pages grouped under different ministries (Junior High, High School, Children, Adults, etc.).

There is the side navbar consistent through the site (which is the subject of this post) and then a top navbar for each group of pages (Junior High--events, parent info, staff, etc.).

I am brand new to Dreamweaver--how would I make it a library item?

gmcrone
04-24-2005, 01:17 PM
From design view, highlight your entire navbar, click on modify, library, add object to library.
A new library item will be made, call it navbar or whatever. Close your template, open the library item and make sure all the code for the navbar item is included. If it isn't
you can adjust it manually. close & save the library item.

On each page you need this navbar just drag and drop the library item where you want it.

Mike...

johncraftiv
04-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Thanks for your help.

I was able to make the library item, but wasn't sure how to transfer the <head> information needed for the rollovers and popup menu.

After some searching on the net, I came across server side includes. I've figured that out and think that is how I'll keep the side navbar consistent throughout the pages.

What would the downside be?

Thanks.

ranjan
04-27-2005, 06:31 PM
none, if your web host allows SSI

you have just discovered the best templating tool

Seriously the only disadvantage of SSI is that they are heavy on the CPU. Its imperative to have a good web host if expect to have a lot of traffic.

fse
04-28-2005, 11:05 PM
If you are using one template, you can add your nav bar to the template.
OR
Another approach is to make your nav bar code into a library item and then add it to each page.

Mike...
okay. i have a Q on the same topic. my navigation is messed up when i put it in subfolders, use the fireworks html option, but when i update the template it ruins all my pages, graphics and links. any suggestions? thanks.

johncraftiv
04-28-2005, 11:09 PM
I was running into the same problem, which is what led me to server side includes. They're much simpler for updating.

gmcrone
04-28-2005, 11:09 PM
When using a navbar in a template you have to use absolute references.

By that I mean your links are as such: http://mysite.com/index.htm ('http://mysite.com/index.htm')

And not use relative references like: ./index.htm

Put the entire url in as the link, not the shorthand version.

Mike...

fse
04-28-2005, 11:13 PM
that's what i thought about the links, however, the problem with fireworks html, is the graphics, i just wanted to use it to have the pop-up menus. i don't think i have the ssi option. thank you two for the quick responces.

johncraftiv
04-28-2005, 11:59 PM
I think gmcrone might have been referring to the sources of your images, not necessarily the links.

Make your image sources absolute (http://www.domain.com/images/image.jpg) instead of relative (images/image.jpg).

As for the popup menu, I continued to have problems with that, although I never got around to setting absolute references for all of those images.

fse
04-29-2005, 05:06 PM
ok. i was going to do that, but the rollovers are the problem. i guess i'll just have to work on the HTML side of things. i wanted to solve this for future reference. oh well. if you ever figure it out let me know.

thanks.