PDA

View Full Version : Posting Word & .pdf files for downloading

oldsurfer
04-12-2005, 02:28 AM
Can some DW guru please help me understand how to post MS Word & .pdf files on my website for downloading. How do webmasters acquire or create those little MS Word (the little blue "W") or red .pdf icons that a visitor simply clicks to commence downloading?
I'm sure the answer involves links and/or hotspots, but I'm having trouble figuring it out. Warning: I can use DW, but know nothing about .html.
Thank you very much.

sarajen
04-12-2005, 03:52 AM
I would also like to know how to do this. I will be adding downloads to a client site this week. Any advice is appreciated.

Jim_Shady
04-12-2005, 12:24 PM
Hi U 2.

The little pic of the word icon or excel icon etc is simply an image put onto the page. A small GIF file normally.

You should be able to find one by typing 'word icon' into the images search on google. Then save the image to your computer and insert it into the page of your choice. Once you've done that you then link from that image to the relevant word/excel/PDF documents etc.

When the user clicks on the image it should then open up the document in the persons browser where they can then save it. Some browsers are automatically set to download the file but this will be up to the client.

Hope thats clear?

Jim Shady.

oldsurfer
04-12-2005, 07:01 PM
:P This is awesome. Thanks very much, and yes, I should be able to figure it out from here. Thank you!

Jim_Shady
04-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Good-good...

Jim Shady