PDA

View Full Version : Adding a glow to highlight text

Dolores
04-11-2005, 03:52 PM
HI. I am taking a course which includes designing a website with PS and DW. My PS design includes text that I want to use as links. I sliced the PS design, opened it in DW and now I want to create a glow on the slice which contains text to make it "light up" when I roll over it. My instructor did this, but now I can't duplicate it.

domedia
04-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Hi Dolores and welcome to the DW Club! :)
Make sure you have 2 images made for each button. One without the glow and one with the glow. Insert the image with the glow into your Dreamweaver page, and choose Swap Imagefrom your behaviours menu, from there you can choose the glow image to be swapped on mousover.

A better tutorial might be this one http://www.computerschool.net/dreamweaver/...ons/simage.html ('http://www.computerschool.net/dreamweaver/lessons/simage.html')

Dolores
04-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks for your reply. I am aware of the need for 2 images, but I already have my PS design sliced and I can't figure out how to add the glow to the slices. Can I edit the slices in DW? I don't know how my instructor did this, but all my slices for the page he did have a gif counterpart named "rollover" to correspond with the slice gif images. So I know he didn't just create a rollover image for certain images.

If you don't know what I am talking about, can you tell me how you would go about designing a PS page with text that would change color with a rollover when inserted into DW? I don't want the look of a button.

domedia
04-11-2005, 07:12 PM
I take for granted we are talking about graphics here (GIF's)

If you have a counterpart for your GIF's named 'rollover', then these are most likely the images you have with the glow effect. If not you have to remake them in Photoshop.

So first make sure you have both gifs, the one you want for normal state, and the one you want for mousover, and then use the technique described in the tutorial I gave earlier :)

Dolores
04-11-2005, 09:19 PM
I was describing what I think my instructor did. I did not yet have rollovers.

Anyway, I can't edit the text of a gif. When I sliced the PS design, and saved for web, I got a bunch of gifs. I cannot use these to make rollovers since I can't edit the text of a gif.

Dolores
04-11-2005, 11:32 PM
I ended up noting the size of the slices and creating images in PS, saving these as gifs and swapping them. Probably a round about way but it looks ok.

Jim_Shady
04-12-2005, 02:12 PM
This all seems a bit complicated for my liking, especially the behaviours bit from Domedia? (Sorry mate!)

Create two images in fireworks or photoshop. 100pix x 100pix perhaps. Make them exactely the same, except make one of them a different colour (for example). Save them as GIF's or PNG files or JPG's, whatever really.

Now in Dreamweaver go to INSERT > IMAGE OBJECTS > IMAGE ROLLOVER and then follow your nose! Use the first image as the first section, and the second image as the second choice, and then once you've done preview it in your browser to see the effect that it has created.

Jim Shady.