PDA

View Full Version : Going Legit

Fat Old Sun
04-01-2005, 01:49 AM
Hello everyone.

My name is Randy. I am starting over in web design after a long time off. This should be interesting. The last time I did this, it was just straight HTML, and just for fun. No Flash, no CSS, no PHP, and minimal Java to mess with. It looks like I have a steep climb ahead of me, but at least I enjoy it.

While I'm processing all of this, I'm also honing my networking skills. Over the last 10 years, I've built a few hundred PCs for extra cash. I'm just waiting for my tax return so I can start knocking out some certifications. The plan is to do tech work to keep the paychecks rolling in while I build my skills, portfolio, and clientele. Fortunately, I've found a niche and will be working the contacts I've made in sales over the last few years into my new endeavor.

I may be asking a lot of questions in the near future, and I look forward to hearing from all of you. I've read through many of the posts here, and everyone seems friendly and eager to help.

gmcrone
04-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Welcome Randy,

I am sure we can help you along.
Web design has come a long ways in the past few years but it still boils down to the content of your pages it what keeps people coming back, not whiz-bang looking sites.

You can do a lot of design work with just HTML and CSS.
Then when you need dynamic (database) sites, learn PHP & MYSQL.

Personally I am not a fan of Flash even though some of my sites do use it.

Anyway, welcome to our corner of the world...

Mike....

domedia
04-03-2005, 12:08 AM
Welcome to the Club Randy!
There's some among us here that also run (or have run) our own web related business, so I'm sure you'll fit righ in :)