PDA

View Full Version : Hello and a easy question for you.

red
03-31-2005, 10:51 AM
Hi All,

Firstly a big hello as this is my first post in this forum. My background is that I have spent the last two years as a Microsoft software developer. Mainly doing desk top applications. Recently I have been doing some really cool ASP.NET web development that I am really pleased with. I really feel that web development is something that I would want get more involved with longterm.

I am now aware that my presentation skills lag sadly behing my other abilities. So I know that I have to bite the bullet and learn some Macromedia magic. I have done some in the past but Dreamweaver has so much more to offer.

Anyway this question is an embarrasingly simple one, but I would like to ask it all the same. Here goes.

When I open a new HMTL project in Dreamweaver and I include a image to the document and decide I would like to reposition it. It seems I cannot just drag and drop it or user the cursor keys to reposition it. Is possible to do in Dreamweaver MX 2004?

Please forgive my ignorance but it would be great to be able to do this task visually.

Please help if you can.

Thanks, Red. :D :D :D

Jim_Shady
03-31-2005, 11:21 AM
Hi there to the newbie!

Yeah, Dreamweaver is good, but dragging and dropping is a bit of a no-go.

I would personally reccomend using table to build up the page and thus put the image into a suitable cell - where you can then align it LEFT/RIGHT etc.

You could also try using Layers although some people, myself included, aren't big fans of them. Go to INSERT > LAYER and then you can put the image inside that layer. Once it's in there you can drag the layer anywhere that you like.

Nice to see that you've decided that your 'presentation' needs work on. There are alot of very IT literate people at my place who can do all sorts of cool things with server-side pages, but their presentation is shocking and so their work isn't used anywhere near as much as it should be. You need the balance.

Good luck.

Jim Shady.

red
03-31-2005, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the reply I very much appreciate it! :D :D :D

domedia
03-31-2005, 01:27 PM
To elaborate a tad on the LAYER solution. A Layer in DW is a DIV tag that is absolutely positioned. When you position something absolutely, you give it a position from the TOP LEFT corner of your webpage. Some people try to use absolutely positioned element sin horizontally centered designs, which does not work.

When you position something absolutely, you also take it out of the normal 'flow' of the document, meaning it is not part of the normal order of output anymore. No element can align to it, float around it etc.

And welcome to the Forums red! :)