PDA

View Full Version : 'Splash' Window?

Vosh
03-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Right. I'm almost there with my site. I need to finish it as I keep changing my mind! I want a 'splash' page (if thats what its called) to be the first thing you see as you log on to the site. So once you click to get in, you won't see it again as it takes you to the home page.

I'm sure it's simple, but I'm confused to how it's recognised over the home page when you first go to the site.

Is any of that rambling clear?

:)

domedia
03-17-2005, 08:21 PM
Just name your splash page index.html or whatever file name is used for default, and name your homepage something else, like home.html. Now make sure all the links on your site for the homapge goes to home.html.

When all that's said, I usually recommend against using splashpages. They're seldomly needed and does not add any functionality to a website.

Vosh
03-17-2005, 08:31 PM
Hmmm. You're probably right. Re-linking everything seems a like a lot of effort for what is a VERY simple graphic. Might just leave it for now. Cheers!

Jim_Shady
03-18-2005, 10:51 AM
Hi.

Yeah.... I'm buiding a site with a 'cover page' at the moment but am not sure about whether I should bother or not. I see it is a kind of 'cover page' like you get on a magazine - which you then open to see the index.

Personally I think they are quite nice - as long as they aren't too extensive or anoying.

Jim Shady

domedia
03-18-2005, 01:04 PM
Personally I think they are quite nice - as long as they aren't too extensive or anoying. Personally I think the concept of having me click yet another time in order to enter your site is annoying anytime :)

Anonymous
03-23-2005, 12:38 PM
The only time id ever use a splash/cover page is if my site has certain requirements for the site to be viewed correctly. So id make a splash page with all the software requirements and stuff.

Or another time a splash page might be handy is if your site has 2 versions or whatever.
Say you have 1 for IE uses and 1 for other uses (for example).

other wise, unless you have advertisments like gamespot (which uses cookies so it doesnt show more than once unless you remove cookies or the advertisment changes)

well there my input

Sloth_Boy
03-23-2005, 12:39 PM
forgot to log myself in!!!