PDA

View Full Version : Layout tables

Evo
02-22-2005, 06:44 PM
I'm new to web development and Dreamweaver... I've read Sam's Learn DW MX 2004 in 24 hours, and am trying to apply what I've learned by creating something that -resembles- a web site.

My problem is this- I create a table in layout mode to look exactly how I want the page laid out. But when I go into standard mode and start inserting text, images, and a nested table for my nav bar, all the cells start to resize, shift, and some even seem to pop onto the screen from nowhere. The outside borders of the main table also tend to continuously widen as I add text. This causes misalignment of my objects on the page when its viewed in the browser (IE and Firefox are the ones im previewing in).

Also, sometimes it will look fine in Dreamweaver (design view), but in the browser, everything is drastically misaligned.

Are there any tips you wiley pros have to combat this? Should I add all the content in layout view? Should I create a nested table for the text body of my site?

Thanks for the help. I'm really new at this, so don't flame me too bad here.

domedia
03-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Tables are by nature dynamic, that means they will adapt to the content. The more content you put in, the larger the table will be. If you are using tables to design your website, you have to use width's on your table's and td's. There should be plenty of tutorials around for table designing in Dreamweaver.

Jim_Shady
03-09-2005, 03:10 PM
Nested tables as well as merging and splitting cells is the way forward my friend. I know what you mean though - it takes some getting used to - keep pluggin away!

Jim Shady.

Anonymous
04-04-2005, 05:47 PM
I am also facing the same problems. I tried to fixed the width but the problem remain. Why DW is not wyswyg? Can anyone give more precise way of tackling this problem? Thanks and sorry for repeating the same question. :o

ranjan
04-04-2005, 06:23 PM
http://www.dwfaq.com/Tutorials/Tables/managing_tables.asp ('http://www.dwfaq.com/Tutorials/Tables/managing_tables.asp')

One of the best tutorials on the web for managing tables