PDA

View Full Version : New member needs cookie advice

acdcgraphics
10-18-2004, 08:31 PM
Hi, I have a client that asked me these questions about their website, I have taken over the site and use Dreamweaver, it is a flat, HTML/CSS site and I am not a programmer, so I am not sure how to accomplish her requests:

How can we capture who is visiting our website? Currently I go in to the log on XO, look at IP addresses and then go to the ARIN website and see who that IP address belongs to. This method seems to become less helpful as time passes. More and more all I get is the company that the person uses for internet service and very seldom the actual company looking at our site. There must be a better way to do this."

Would I need to figure out cookies here? Or would some third party tool like WebStats do the trick?

Thanks much,

Ava Lemert,
Principal

. . : : a c d c : : . .
"your source for creative energy"

design | illustration | photography
www.acdcgraphics.com | 916.961.1142 p/f

# # #

gmcrone
10-18-2004, 09:33 PM
Your best bet is a log analyzer like Webtrends or similar.
Is your client doing their own hosting, or is it hosted by an ISP somewhere?
Most ISP hosts have a control panel you can log into and have a log analysis
created for free. Or you can download the log files yourself and run them through an analyzer. I personally use a program called SurfStats to do a log analysis, then send the results to my clients.

Log analyzers (at least the better ones) can be expensive if all your doing is 1 or 2 sites. Do a google search on "web log analyzers" and check some of them out.

As to digging down to the actual user looking at your site. This is almost impossible unless the user is coming from their own domain. The logs only track the IP address by the IP address requesting the info. This means that if a user is going through an ISP the actual request comes from the ISP not the user.

Mike...

domedia
10-22-2004, 07:38 PM
gmcrone is right on the money.

I would ask your hosting company if they have any web statistics software available on their server for your clients web hosting that you can log into. Personally I like Webalizer and AWStats, they are free and I'm sure there's commercial software that does a much better job.

Cookies are not relevant, so you wouldn't need to worry about that :)