PDA

View Full Version : XHTML Compatibility

ratz2plt
09-17-2004, 11:10 AM
Is it alright to use XHTML now?
Are most browsers compatible at this point?

Also if someone could help me with CSS (instesd of ?) tables. How do you layout a site with CSS? I know how CSS works for text, borders and such. Can you use it to position things on the site? Do you use a class or div tags or something? I am just learning CSS but have a general idea how it works with text.

I hope this doesn't sound too lame but I am just getting into really trying to understand the code.
I have been reading a book called Designing with Web Standards and really want to use standards.

Thanks

domedia
09-21-2004, 12:54 AM
Is it alright to use XHTML now?
Sure if you want to, there's thousands of xhtml websites out there

Are most browsers compatible at this point?
As xhtml basically is a stricter form of html, it is backwards compatible

Also if someone could help me with CSS (instesd of ?) tables. How do you layout a site with CSS? I know how CSS works for text, borders and such. Can you use it to position things on the site? Do you use a class or div tags or something? I am just learning CSS but have a general idea how it works with text.

Just ask specific questions and you'll get specific answers :)
This page ('http://www.womendesignersgroup.com/articlerachel.shtml')might serve as a nice introduction to get you started, with many valuable links.

ratz2plt
09-21-2004, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the help domedia.

Is there a way to make CSS template pages in Dreamweaver MX 2004? I want to have others use them in Contribute.
Also I was wondering if users try to use tables in Contribute for laying out the page what effect would that have on the page being standards compliant. I guess what I am getting at is that it would be best if Contribute users just use tables for tabular data right?
I am trying to get up on this standards stuff. I hope I am making sense.

I may be coming back with more specific questions.