PDA

View Full Version : Anyone take the plunge.

underzen
06-15-2004, 04:31 PM
So has anyone taken the plunge and converted a table based site to a pure CSS site?

I am thinking about doing it for a few of my sites. But when I think about it I always find an excuse not too, LOL :D

natimage
06-15-2004, 10:26 PM
...wait...horrible memories returning!!!

Ok...I'm over it! ;) I'm just being dramatic! I didn't try converting a site, but tried building one in all css. I can say that I have a decent understanding of css...completely self-taught though, and I don't have any books yet. Having said that, I will say that I won't do it again in the near future. I know there are people out there that are much better than me, and they've accomplished wonderful things with css. I, however, did not have the patience to go back and forth between Mozilla and IE trying to make the site work. If I only had to worry about one browser...it would have been a cakewalk!

Anyway...I gave up for now. I've gotten along pretty well with using nested tables for positioning and css for most everything else!

Good luck to you if you decide to go on the css journey! I learned a lot...but not enough, apparently! :)

gmcrone
06-16-2004, 08:42 PM
I, however, did not have the patience to go back and forth between Mozilla and IE trying to make the site work. If I only had to worry about one browser...it would have been a cakewalk!

Natimage,
What problems did you have as most CSS is cross browser campatible??

This is part of a CSS sheet for layout that I use on one of my sites:
body {
background: #E7E4D9 url(assets/v2_pbg.jpg) repeat-x;
margin-top: 160px;
margin-right: 10%;
margin-bottom: 0px;
margin-left: 5%;
text-decoration: none;
}
#logoDiv {
position: absolute;
left: 0px;
top: 0px;
}
#navDiv {
position: absolute;
left: 0px;
top: 106px;
}

All the above positions the DIV's on the page to specified areas and is fully compatible with all browsers..

Mike...

natimage
06-17-2004, 02:54 AM
Well...I'm not sure. I will have to look into it again in the near future and maybe ask you more specifically about it. I love CSS...I really do!! I'm sure it has more to do with the fact that I've never "officially" learned it. I learn as I go.

I know one thing I've experienced is using absolute positioning, it seems like it always puts things in just a slightly different place in IE than Mozilla. Then there's the font thing, where it seems a slightly different size in IE than Mozilla. I know I've read some stuff on fonts and how to make it more consistent, but I must not have gotten my hands on the right stuff yet. Or I did, and didn't understand it!!

Anyway...I'm determined to do a complete site with CSS one day. Just not right now. I had to get away from it for a bit. And I need to get a book.......

gmcrone
06-17-2004, 09:09 PM
If your going to get a book on CSS, I highly recommend "Eric Myer on CSS, Mastering the Language of Web Design" published by New Riders.
His other two books complement his new one.
"Cascading Style Sheets, the Definitive Guide", by O'Reilly & Assoc. and
"CSS 2.0 Programer's Reference" by Osborne/Mcgraw-Hill

If you buy any books on CSS these are the 3 to buy.

Have you looked at my article on "typography on the web" on the home page here?

Mike...

underzen
06-26-2004, 08:32 PM
gmcrone,

Thanks for those book recommendations. I need to pick one up as I want to try to build my next site all in CSS

PayYourselfWeekly.com
06-27-2004, 02:47 PM
I need my genealogy website to be compatible for the majority of the people who do online browsing. Most people doing genealogy are probably well retired and using older computers, hence older/slower browsers.

What is the best format of web page building to use to target this group? Tables, CSS, frames, or ?

I am very novice.

Thanks,
Terry

gmcrone
06-27-2004, 03:04 PM
I don't think you can generalize & say most of your users will be using older computers. I think that is a false assumption.
Most of my retired friends use at least a P4 1.0 ghz machine. Many of them have even newer machines.

As to the type of pages you need. It all depends on what is on your pages.
Browsers back to version 2 could see CSS 1 (not all equally tho)
According to webstats on various websites (such as browserwatch.com)
the majority of users are using a "modern" browser ( ver 5.0 & up).

I would use CSS for your basic layout and tables for your data from a database (you are using a database for look-ups, right).

Mike...

MenionLeah
12-16-2004, 08:45 PM
gmcrone, i was just reading the boards and read this post and figured i'd chime in here.

The one thing that has kept me from trying to convert my site to CSS is that it seems there isn't a way at the moment to place/position images. For example, i need to update a couple of photos per week on my main page.

The only way i could find to do this was to make them part of my background image and use the css bg image code, etc.

This may have worked, but with my background layout best saved as gifs and my photos best saved as jpeg's, i was having no luck getting things to look nice trying to compress them for the web.

Just my experience, maybe i'm missing something.

Just wanted to chime in, since you seem pretty knowledgeable in CSS.

Thanks.

gmcrone
12-16-2004, 09:20 PM
It is not exactly easy, but CSS will allow you to position any element absolutely on your page.
This means you create a css rule for a div (called a layer in Dreamweaver) and specify the exact position on the page where you want it to appear. Then you place the image inside the layer.
Using Dreamweaver in Design mode you can move your layers around to where you want them.

If you look at my home page http://designconsultingltd.com ('http://designconsultingltd.com') I have several layers to position the elements on the page where I want them.
At the top of the page is my banner/logo layers, on the left side is my navigation layer,
and the main content is in another layer. Take a look at the source code for an idea of what I am talking about.

Do a google search on "CSS-P" ( CSS Positioning) I am sure you will find plenty of tutorials.

Mike....

MenionLeah
12-17-2004, 10:51 AM
Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

As a matter of fact, i used 2 layers to position images on my site. I actually didn't know that was a form of CSS. Thanks.

The one problem i'm having with css is i only have any luck when i do internal css. I get very confused with external. I think it would involve using tags for all elements.

Thanks again.

ranjan
01-25-2005, 09:00 AM
CSS will allow you to position any element absolutely on your page

CSS allows you to seperate content from style. This may be in the way you

a. Layout your page
b. Style your html elements

Positioning using CSS can be absolute as well as relative. It can also be static or fixed. An element can also inherit position from its parent.

Dreamweaver layers are just one method of positioning (absolute). Please read on the other methods mentioned above to understand CSS-P to its fullest