PDA

View Full Version : Who uses Fireworks?

cdingman
06-10-2004, 12:29 AM
Do you use fireworks for graphic design?

I use it in conjunction with photoshop, mostly to do thiings like image maps and rollovers.

:)

underzen
06-10-2004, 07:34 PM
I have played around with it in the past. I could just never break away from photoshop. How well does fireworks handle image maps and rollovers?

cdingman
06-10-2004, 11:09 PM
The thing that fireworks does with image maps and rollovers is it will automatically slice th images up and create the Javascript code for you which you can insert directly into your page in DW....

I still use photoshop alot as well - I use the two together when creating designs as both have features the other doesn't.

natimage
06-11-2004, 02:56 AM
I use both Photoshop and Fireworks. Each has certain things that I like and don't like! It's quite easy to do the rollovers and image maps in Fireworks, although i've been told that the javascript it produces is rather bulky! I don't know js...so I'm only taking someone elses word for it!!! ;)

cdingman
06-11-2004, 04:49 AM
I'll say that it more than likely is but it sure beats hand-coding it LOL...

Not to mention slicing up the images the way Fireworks can...

natimage
06-11-2004, 05:51 AM
I DO love the slicing...no doubt about that!!

domedia
06-12-2004, 04:52 PM
I guess I'm the black sheep in here :rolleyes: , I've been using Photoshop for a very long time. I tried a trial version of Fireworks once, personally I didn't think it could compare to Photoshop and never tried it again. I guess the new versions of Fireworks have more features.

For those of you that use both programs, how do they compare?

gmcrone
06-12-2004, 07:47 PM
The main difference between Photoshop and Fireworks (in my opinion, anyway)
is that Fireworks is intended to be a WEB graphic creation medium. Its native vector illustration capabilities far outweigh those in Photoshop. It also creates the html needed for sliced graphics along with the js code. Photoshop on the other hand needs Image Ready to do these chores.
However Photoshop shines in image manipulation and can work with dozens of image formats.
For creating web graphics and web components as well as entire web pages, Fireworks is the choice.
For manipulating photographic images, and creating images from scratch, Photoshop is the best choice.
They do play well together though. Create your graphics in Photoshop and import them into Fireworks to web enable them..

Mike...

cdingman
06-12-2004, 09:24 PM
is that Fireworks is intended to be a WEB graphic creation medium. Its native vector illustration capabilities far outweigh those in Photoshop. It also creates the html needed for sliced graphics along with the js code. Photoshop on the other hand needs Image Ready to do these chores.
However Photoshop shines in image manipulation and can work with dozens of image formats.
For creating web graphics and web components as well as entire web pages, Fireworks is the choice.
For manipulating photographic images, and creating images from scratch, Photoshop is the best choice.
They do play well together though. Create your graphics in Photoshop and import them into Fireworks to web enable them..

Mike...
Absolutely - Photoshop is far better at doing things like editing and image manipulation. When doing web based graphic design, you really do need both to be able to create a decent looking page.

I also use either Freehand or Illustrator if needbe to create things such as logos and other graphics that might be needed in vector format.

I would personally be lost without either fireworks or photoshop (not to mention freehand or illustrator) as having all three makes graphic design SO much easier, IMHO.

I am not an artist in any way shape or form but PS and FW very seriously make me look like one :)

Anonymous
09-01-2004, 12:17 AM

Mike...
I don't see anything in Fireworks that makes it better for web design. Web design is a very exact art and exporting CSS and HTML from Fireworks is not only extremely easy, but it also makes your website extremely heavy. Which in todays age of search engine friendly sites, extra code is a major no-no. Photoshop can be used to design images at any resolution, but Fireworks is not suitable for that same process. It lacks the physical and virtual memory control that makes it a chore to do high res work. Sure, it was DEVELOPED for screen graphics, but i believe it is handicapped. I started to use Fireworks back when the debate about the GIF copyright laws were up in the air and that PNGs would be the new standard for graphics, but that has never happened. The drawing aspect in fireworks is better than the previous versions and Photoshop (due to its basis in vector imaging), but I will still always use an Illustrator or a Freehand as a base for anything i need to create from scratch, then I will always bring it into Photoshop. For the folks who want the gamut of mediums covered, Photoshop is your best bet. For the folks who want a simpler program to design their graphics and DHTML menus and rollovers, and export their bulky HTML (sinful and scandalous), Fireworks is the best bet. But once again, there's really nothing that can sell me on Fireworks. Its decent at best, and since the addition of ImageReady, I think Fireworks is becoming obsolete. Sure it works well with Flash, but so do other vector programs like Freehnad, InDesign and Illustrator. For a professional, its Photoshop. Illustrate in other programs, compose and alter in photoshop.

Harshal
09-08-2004, 06:29 PM
I use Photoshop predominantly for image manipulation as other software hardly come closer to it. BUT for slicing and other web chores my definite choice is Fireworks......

Harshal

ranjan
12-01-2004, 07:30 AM
I voted yes. But I am only a small coder not a big designer.

I use FW and FW only. I get lost in the big mighty world of photoshop.

I would like to comment here however that I use FW only for graphics work and not to generate javascript and html. FW is basically a graphics editor and it should not be used to generate code. FW sucks at it. Please use dreamweaver instead

ian27
04-12-2005, 08:17 PM
I would like to comment here however that I use FW only for graphics work and not to generate javascript and html. FW is basically a graphics editor and it should not be used to generate code. FW sucks at it. Please use dreamweaver instead.
I agree. I too only use Fireworks and not Photoshop, but I would never use fireworks to generate any code. Sure, I use it to create graphics and the slice tool is excellent, but trust me, use Dreamweaver to create your code, the code created by Fireworks is way too restrictive.

ramandeep
11-18-2005, 12:41 PM
I use both but never did comparison between FW and Photoshop,however i think Mike's statement very much describe what actually they are!

davidj
11-18-2005, 02:09 PM
im a PS guy myself but used to use FW to compress images

output the the same image in both with exactly the same settings and you will find FW does a better job

PS adds data to the file for some reason

I dont like FW adding javascript so have never used it as it was meant to be used (template with rollovers and menus set within FW etc. I like to know whats going on)

Creative Insanity
11-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Gimme PS any day.
I just don't like FW and never have.
PS is just soo dam nice and easy to use. Also with CS 2 and it's RAW capabilities is second to none.
DJ if you use 'save for the web' Alt + Shift + Ctrl S then no data is added to the file.
The added data is for watermark inclusion in case you have just a program. The data added to a straight Ctrl S file is so that you can add a watermark at a later stage. Saving for the web does not add that data.

aestronza
12-06-2005, 01:48 PM
I love Fireworks. I mostly use it for designing interfaces for websites. I find that slicing is easier. Also, creating rollovers and dropdown menus is so much easier.

Using Photoshop/Image Ready flattens your buttons, whereas Fireworks doesn't. :wub:

Creative Insanity
12-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Using Photoshop/Image Ready flattens your buttons,
Naa it doesn't! You just need to know how to create them. Rollovers are easy peasy in ps/im.
Create the normal state layer.
Create a dupe (Ctrl+j)
Make changes.. over to IM create rollover and walla. done.
Takes about 30 secs a button.

kidddgospel
04-26-2006, 01:44 PM
YO CHECK IT. FIREWORKS IS DA BOMB. END OF CONVERSATION 8)

davidj
04-26-2006, 02:33 PM
YO CHECK IT. FIREWORKS IS DA BOMB. END OF CONVERSATION
is it worth me asking you to qualify that argument?

probably not

Creative Insanity
04-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Yeah I would like to know also?

You want a debate about PS v FW? I assure you, you do not.

domedia
04-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Hey CI, did'nt you say PS sucked at creating graphics? ;) ;) ;)

Creative Insanity
04-27-2006, 11:40 AM
No way I did. PS is the best at ANY graphics wether it be for a template, RAW, sketching with tablet, of any form or shape.
I have checked out FW and in my view it is nothing but a poor excuse for a graphic program just like Paint Shop Pro and all the others that try and be like Photoshop.. and ya know what has come the closest? A free one called Gimp, and there is now a PC version as well.

ranjan
04-27-2006, 02:27 PM
I have checked out FW and in my view it is nothing but a poor excuse for a graphic program

May be true for print graphics.

For Web Graphics nothing beats a Vector based graphics package like Fireworks. AND I do not need the bloat of Photoshop for my day to day Web Graphics. My machine performs much better without Adobes bloatware

PS: This is one of the reasons I bought Studio 8. With Adobe in charge expect your favorite editor to become a bloatware.

domedia
04-27-2006, 03:58 PM
A free one called Gimp, and there is now a PC version as well. Didn't know that.. will check it out, thanks ci

davidj
04-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Gimp is great coz its free

it has to be at the top of everyones MUST HAVE list

unless you can afford a pro app like photoshop that is

Creative Insanity
04-27-2006, 07:21 PM
LOL @ rj.. and LOL LOL.. Umm got some news for you rj.. I heard that Adobe are canning FW, but that could be a rumore.
Adobe bloatware.. I dought that very much.. unless you are using a minor system like a 1gb system. As for just print graphics.. not now and you are a little behind the times rj and really should not comment when you have not seen what they have now.
It kicks the arse off anything. As for vector.. yeah maybe PS is no vector based.. but I can use Illustrator and just import if that was the case, but let's get real here, who uses vector graphics on a web site anyway, I mean really.. can you name 10 template designers who REALLY want to use vector?

yeah Gimp was originally done for Linux by the opensource world (of which I am a strong supporter), have you seen it DJ? Like I said there is a PC version now and it is pretty good.

ramandeep
04-27-2006, 09:56 PM
I have read many threads in different forums in this topic here are the few conclusive points as per me.

keep in mind that Photoshop is about twice the price of Fireworks. However, Fireworks has some features that Photoshop does not have, and some that are simply easier in Fireworks than in Photoshop. They're two very different programs and should not be compared.

Photoshop is a high-end graphics editing tool. Fireworks is a web graphics tool. They're not supposed to be compared. You should be comparing ImageReady to Fireworks really.

Can you use a screwdriver to drive a nail? Sure, it can be done, but it'd be much easier to use a hammer. If you're a carpenter, you might prefer to have both a hammer and a screwdriver.

I use both :D

davidj
04-28-2006, 09:23 AM
rj has a special screwdriver that turns bolts!!

so stick that up ya pipe and smoke it

domedia
04-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Photoshop is a high-end graphics editing tool. Fireworks is a web graphics tool. They're not supposed to be compared. You should be comparing ImageReady to Fireworks really. I couldn't have said it better. Actually, I would probably have said it worse ;)

Creative Insanity
04-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Disagree RAM CS2 has just as good web based graphic tools now as FW has and some better. Yes it is more expensive granted, but then look at what you are getting for your money. If FW done the same it would be a lot more expensive also.. and now that you have mentioned it RAM, when you buy PS you actually get three programs for the price of one. Photoshop, ImageReady and The Bridge. The Bridge is the best god damn graphic organizor program I have ever seen.