PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using SFTP in DW?

underzen
06-09-2004, 08:08 PM
I was just wondering if anyone was using the SFTP function in DW. I know its alot more secure. Are the transfer speeds any slower?

Thanks

Eric

domedia
06-12-2004, 03:47 PM
To be honest, I have not used the ftp client within DW for years. It has always seemed to be unreliable, so I've always used a third party ftp client.

What makes SFTP more secure btw?

cdingman
06-12-2004, 08:30 PM
I think SFTP uses SSL just like a secure website would :)

domedia
06-14-2004, 08:10 PM
Ok,
Another option could be using SSH in a ftp like program like Secure Ixplorer.
http://i-tree.org/ ('http://i-tree.org/')

I've used it when other connections have not been available, and I think it actually ties in with Putty, for those of you that have used that for SSH.

underzen
06-15-2004, 04:22 PM
I have used Dreamweavers built in FTP function. Its a very fast key stroke of cltr-shift-u to save and upload the page. However its VERY unreliable. So I have been using FileZilla with ftp over ssh for added security. In big datacenters like EV1's where my server is numerous servers get hacked and then the hackers packet sniff the network for plain text logins and passwords. I do sort of hate having to switch to another program to upload my code. However I am thinking of building a local box to test on at my house and load it up with all the software that my server at EV1 has. This way I can test locally using Dreamweavers built in FTP and not worry about the security cause its local and once I have the code that I like I can upload all the files (kind of like a batch update). I did this at the last company I worked for, dentalplans.com and it worked very well.

ratz2plt
09-21-2004, 03:45 AM
Using Dreamweaver and other multiple users using Contribute you would have to use Dreamweavers FTP or WebDAV for the file check in check out feature wouldn't you?

I am new to this, just trying to fill in some blanks.

Thanks for any info

ratz2plt
09-21-2004, 03:52 AM
What makes SFTP more secure btw?
I found this in the Dreamweaver help under "Setting FTP options for remote access".

4.Select the Use Secure FTP (SFTP) checkbox to use SFTP for secure authentication.

SFTP uses encryption and public keys to secure a connection to your testing server.

Note: Your testing server must be running an SFTP server.