PDA

View Full Version : Typography on the Web, part 1

domedia
05-25-2004, 02:20 AM
This thread is dedicated to gmcrone's Typography on the Web, part 1 ('http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/typography-web-1.php')

gmcrone
05-29-2004, 01:02 AM
If any one has any questions or comments on my article, please post them here.

Part 2 will be posted appx June 5th weekend.

domedia
09-06-2004, 07:29 PM
Mike, do you know if there has been any studies on which font faces are most suiteable for the web?

I know Verdana was made specifically for reading on computer monitors, a very wide font. But how about fonts like Lucida etc.?

gmcrone
09-06-2004, 10:33 PM
There haven't been any real studies as to which faces are most suitable for the web as unfortunately we are limited as to which faces we can use without resorting to outside programs which only work on limited browsers.

Verdana, Georgia, & Trubechet were all created for Microsoft specifically for web use. Other than these 3 most faces are made primarily for print use.

There are other faces made for the web, but intended to be used more as a graphic than anything else. One I can think of off hand is the Mini-Font collection.
These were created for use on web buttons, etc . Very legible even at very small sizes, of course they are all uppercase letters only.

This is one of my pet peeves, you can't embed type in your pages with CSS, however in the printing industry you can embed type into the pages even if your printer doesn't have the face embedded. Downloadable type has been removed from the latest iteration of CSS. This was the @font-face selector.

dthomsen8
02-22-2006, 02:25 PM
If any one has any questions or comments on my article, please post them here.

While your historical reference to movable type is quite correct, and Gutenberg and Ben Franklin used it, but more recently the Linotype cast complete lines of type in a lead alloy. I worked in a Linotype shop as a boy, melting lead in a gas fired pot, adding antimony, and while that was melting, holding copy while the owner pulled proofs and marked up the almost finished product for corrections. All of that is probably gone entirely, replaced by offset printing, and now by computer methods.

gmcrone
02-22-2006, 02:41 PM
You take me back to the days I used to do that too.

I originally come from a print background and am still upset I can't use the type I want on websites.

Bet you know how the terms uppercase & lowercase came about.....

Mike...